• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Display Lighting / Retrofit

Yea I love the look of the mr-16 light I have a double wide and would really like to add light to it. I'm in the process of finding the easiest and cleanest way to do it.

If you're installing from scratch (i.e. cutting the holes in the case yourself) you can go for a larger bulb like a GU10 for more illumination. For a double wide where LED strips are going to be less effective because of the larger space, it's probably preferable. From the looks of it Carguy was using the existing opening in his case hence he was limited to an MR16.

Here's my single wide with 3 GU10's installed:

top_zps66b46e5b.jpg

And the electrics on top (the transformer is for the LED strips, the downlights need only a chop box to connect them to the mains):

P1010006_zps27a7ccac.jpg

^ Do you have any pics of your case lit up? Did you use a hole saw to cut holes in the plexi top?

I had a bad ballast in mine and decided to tear out ALL the original lights and wiring. The only original is the on/off switch. I used 3- 20" led tube lights on top and about 5-12" led strips on the bottom firing up. Although I may either add to or replace the bottom as it's not as bright inside as I would like. My solution worked but maybe there is a better alternative to what I did thus far...?

They are interesting pieces, aren't they? I think that releases were 550 in the pack w/ a bottle and 650 separately. When you see one in person and feel the density and construction of the flask. We'll be drinking from it at RED for sure though probably filled with Woodford since they are local and I've toured the distillery which is about 45 minutes away from me. One was enough for me and you took your usual quota.

I think there are much less than that produced now. I'm guessing it depended on the interest?

And YES I did. :D

Do you have any pics of your case lit up? Did you use a hole saw to cut holes in the plexi top?

Here's a very rough and ready shot - I don't have my SLR to hand. The pic was taken with lighting from the case only, no flash, room or natural light.

My case came with no lighting whatsoever so I had to start from scratch. Now it has:

- 3 x 6W (35W equiv) LED GU10 downlights. I used a 70mm holesaw to cut the plexi top. It could accommodate 4 downlights but I was running out of space on top to fit enough chop boxes.

- 2 x 1m runs of LED strip lights. 60 LED's per metre. 14.4W/1020 Lumens per metre.

P1010012_zps7436f1da.jpg

Strip lights on the inside of the door:

P1010013_zps8b2fc483.jpg

That's great stuff, Bopper, super nice execution!
Actually I stuck with MR-16's because the output at 3W is the right output for the application and uniform with the lamps in my 2.0 tower.
You folks in the UK are definitely ahead of the curve with energy-efficient LED use.
After learning more about the category I've got many other cool ideas for lighting around the home and garage.

That's great stuff, Bopper, super nice execution! Actually I stuck with MR-16's because the output at 3W is the right output for the application and uniform with the lamps in my 2.0 tower. You folks in the UK are definitely ahead of the curve with energy-efficient LED use. After learning more about the category I've got many other cool ideas for lighting around the home and garage.

Thanks mate. The biggest issue with LED's in the early years was poor illumination relative to cost, but the technology has improved massively of late. Virtually my whole house is lit with LED bulbs/lamps now.

With the tower, you could easily get away with just using 2 LED strips provided you get the right wattage. I only put the downlights in as the 1m strips I bought were slightly short at the top. For anyone doing it now I would recommend 2 x 1.5m strips and trim them to fit. AS you said they lend themselves to a ton of other projects/applications as well. High output, energy efficient and extremely low profile. You can't go wrong!

Back