• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Distressed Blue Radar

i sincerely doubt hydroprinting. with hydroprinting you have to line up those red and yellow distress marks from a 2D sheet, with the contours of the frame in 3D - just not feasible.With hydroprint you usually have a consistent pattern across the entire surface, for that exact reason.

in case you havent seen it in action-

the alignment of the print onto the frame is not a precise thing. there is no way you can line up the distress marks with hydro.

btw, paint chips as well.

I've seen plenty of videos and have thought that it would be pretty difficult to do a dip of that pattern. I suppose it is painted then and maybe machine "worn."

How much are those? are they limited? Would somebody be willing to buy one set for me?

I've seen plenty of videos and have thought that it would be pretty difficult to do a dip of that pattern. I suppose it is painted then and maybe machine "worn."
That's likely how the process is performed. They're probably shot with a few coats of clear to seal the finish after the "distressing" is complete.

To be honest, though, I find this whole "distressing" thing somewhat...distressing. Eyewear normally does not wear that way...usually only on contact points and where they'd be frequently handled. And why would a pair of sunglasses be shot with four coats of a different color one over the other? The whole look is overdone and not very convincing IMO.

That's likely how the process is performed. They're probably shot with a few coats of clear to seal the finish after the "distressing" is complete.

To be honest, though, I find this whole "distressing" thing somewhat...distressing. Eyewear normally does not wear that way...usually only on contact points and where they'd be frequently handled. And why would a pair of sunglasses be shot with four coats of a different color one over the other? The whole look is overdone and not very convincing IMO.

I reckon Its basically just marketing trying to capitalise on e whole skatedeck thing...haha

Dann is stating they are prints on O-Review.

but he also said, "Despite looking like the Craftsman or Petterson weathered effect, these are prints and not layers of paint."

so what i understand from that, is that for the Distressed Blue radar and flaks, the process is printed, but for the Pettersons (obviously) and the Craftsman, the process is different. so basically, the whole debate is settled no? Craftsman series pairs, and these are 2 different process. =) everyone is happy, i know i am, with the knowledge that the Craftsman pairs ain't printed.

or so i hope at least. =)