• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do Clear Frames Look Weird When Worn?

I owned a pair of clear frames for 1 day. I think they look sick, but I couldn't tolerate the amount of light let through and reflected with the clear frame. They bugged the hell out of my eyes and went back to the store.

f1a3c837.jpg

^ I second that. I love the appearance of the clear, they just are not very practical. I do not wear any translucent frame really (ie grey smoke) because I had that light gets through them to my eyes.

I found the same thing but Grey smoke and Polished Rootbeer work for me ok,..I once had the crystal blue Five 3.0 and those were a nightmare for sun...depends where u will wear them and for how long but baseball games, beach, driving in sun not a good experience for me. I had a cleared MD that was whiskey at one time and it just killed me.

I think polished clear looks a bit garish. I have a set of matte clear NewFrogs that I've worn several times. They do brighten in the sun, but they're not bothersome like the crystal red Radar I had.

The red would light up like a Christmas tree and my eyes were constantly drawn to the intense 'glow' of the temple or nose bridge in my peripheral vision. I wore them outside once then traded them. I can't imagine a full frame design in a polished clear or bright crystal color, I think that would drive me nuts.

I also had a rust frame Monster Pup. I sold those more out of fit issues, but they'd do the same thing as the Radar, just to a lesser degree since the frame was a darker color.

I also have a tortoise pair of NewFrogs that's a little darker but still translucent, and they're not bothersome to wear.

I've got a ton of clear frames in my collection and I've never had any real problems with light entry or reflections. Maybe it's just my eyes...who knows. Anyway, it isn't to the point where it distracts me. However, I could imagine that with some of the larger frames that have a lot of frame surface area, like an Oil Rig, there would be issues.

Latest Posts

Back