• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do You Have Anything In Your Collection That Is Untouchable?

Re: Do you have anything in your collection that is untoucha

I wear everything If it goes unworn I sell...I had at one point 50 pairs I had never worn in my younger years...sold almost all I am down to abt 80 with couple more I might let go I dont buy the Froggies or any limited edition/artist series so cant relate to just filling up display cases with stuff I'll never touch...

I actually had this coversation with the GF the other day. I joked earlier about how today may be the day that I have something that I wouldn't use, but the truth is that I have never really seen the point in buying a bunch of expensive stuff you never use. I understand the concept of collecting...I guess I have just never had enough disposable income to allow myself to do so! I have always been puzzled by people that have things then would never use. It think it goes back to when I was 17 and bought my 1969 Charger. I was asked by everyone..."are you going to restore it an use it as a show car?" My answer was always like, HELL NO! I'm going to restore it, build a monster drivetrain, fill it with Nitrous, slam it and race the **** out of it! I had way more fun using it :D But hey, too each his own...right?

I currently wear or have worn everything a dozen times at least. Everything from the medusa to the c-six to the leather wrap straight jackets. I don't see a point in buying to collect dust. Might as well wear it while I can. I bought them all to appreciate them and what's a better way of appreciating them then to wear them?

I don't dare wear my Magnesium Fours. They stopped making those because the coating was disintegrating - thus the reason they discontinued the line. They are a nice collectors piece though!

I have yet to wear my Tron Pit Boss and Tron Gascans, but i've worn everything else in my collection at least once. I have a few pairs that go on rotation regularly (Monster Dog, Half Jacket, Fives Squared), but the rest of my collection generally stays untouched and only comes out once in a while. I would hate for something to happen to the pieces i can't get anymore. I pretty much only wear my rarer pieces when i know i'm not going to be doing something physical or playing sports/sweating.

The untouchables!

I would have to say my first & second pair of Oakleys would be my untouchables.

My first pair --> Razor Blades = Neon Yellow/Grey

My second pair --> M Frame Heater = Crystal Clear/Blue Iridium

I save up for over a year for each of these pairs. Believe me, when you're 11, a year seems like FOREVER. I'd never get rid of these.

I actually, don't have the original frames for the M Frames I bought. They broke, as most did, at the top of the bridge. Oakley sent me a new frame, but the logo had the "O" - Generation 2.

I'd hate to sell my OVERTHETOPs, but the ones above have sentimental value in spades.

I understand the point of "Why buy it if I'm not going to use it" but I currently have about 65-70 pairs. Of those, I probably wear about 30-35 pair. There are probably just as many that I do not wear. I have a display case and I enjoy having them in there to look at and display. Of the 30 or so I do wear, only about 15 of them are worn regularly. Occasionally, I'll throw on my Holiday Oil Rigs or something, but that is rare. I buy them and collect them for the joy of having them, not necessarily wearing them.

I'm sort of like that with a lot of things, though. I love my Corvette and drive it regularly, but don't drive it a lot of miles. It's a 2005 and has 22k miles on it. I have the car because I enjoy owning it and fixing it up. I get my use out of it, but as they say, "..it's not the years, it's the mileage." I feel the same can be said for Oakleys. If you wear the really rare stuff and they get blemishes and scratches on them, the mileage is definitely adding up! Just my point of view.

i wear all of mine also but my xmetal XX ti02's are the ones i wear the least

BAPD77 said:
I understand the point of "Why buy it if I'm not going to use it" but I currently have about 65-70 pairs. Of those, I probably wear about 30-35 pair. There are probably just as many that I do not wear. I have a display case and I enjoy having them in there to look at and display. Of the 30 or so I do wear, only about 15 of them are worn regularly. Occasionally, I'll throw on my Holiday Oil Rigs or something, but that is rare. I buy them and collect them for the joy of having them, not necessarily wearing them.

I'm sort of like that with a lot of things, though. I love my Corvette and drive it regularly, but don't drive it a lot of miles. It's a 2005 and has 22k miles on it. I have the car because I enjoy owning it and fixing it up. I get my use out of it, but as they say, "..it's not the years, it's the mileage." I feel the same can be said for Oakleys. If you wear the really rare stuff and they get blemishes and scratches on them, the mileage is definitely adding up! Just my point of view.

Agreed. My 05 G35 Coupe only has 35k on it, and the last 5k were put on recently as i had to start driving it daily after selling my 00 Honda Prelude.

I don't wear my rare/discontinued pieces regularly only because i want to be able to enjoy them longer.

Storytime - I wore my X Metal XX - Plasma/Ice Iridium on a trip to Boston, MA. While walking around on Newbury street, i had somehow managed to lose the right nose piece. I was pretty bummed as i knew it was going to be tough finding replacements for a discontinued model. Luckily Oakley still had some and sent a new pair to me for free. I don't know if i'll be as lucky next time, so this pair sits in my case 90% of the time.

Latest Posts

Back