• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Do You really Use The Bag or Cleaning Cloth To Maintain Your Oakleys?

The North Carolina thing is because Sunglass Hut was indicted in federal court in 2013 for smuggling microfiber cleaning cloths into the country that were actually made of pure heroin. HUGE incident at Raleigh-Durham International. Surprised you didn't hear that. Made all the papers.
Just emailed them, hopefully they some of those bags left ! I need em´bad man !

I have 3 old school Oakley microbags I use and they're all I use- remember those brownish ones from back in the day that were the consistency of thick silk almost? The new ones are GARBAGE- they don't even wipe anything off, but the classic ones will literally wipe and absorb like nobody's business. They're all I use and I wouldn't sell them ever for ANYTHING as they're irreplaceable.

I've never had scratches induced by an MF bag, and can't be bothered to carry a cleaning kit everywhere I go. Granted, I usually don't wipe/clean until I get home, unless it was a clearly obstructive smudge which an MF bag can wipe off. Key word is "wipe" not "rub", Latter is asking for trouble. Like @joecool862 said, it depends on how you go about it. I'm just finding it funny that there's some kind of not-on-my-life stance on using MF bags for even a quick clean.

That cyclist described by OP sounds like he's pretty careless with cleaning altogether if he's constantly reusing an apparently-worn down MF bag. Either way, his pair. It can be a pity, but I wouldn't really invest the effort in actually being "freaked out". There are worse habits out there like butt-picking, cocaine, and serial killing.

That cyclist described by OP sounds like he's pretty careless with cleaning altogether if he's constantly reusing an apparently-worn down MF bag. Either way, his pair. It can be a pity, but I wouldn't really invest the effort in actually being "freaked out". There are worse habits out there like butt-picking, cocaine, and serial killing.
Yes, and wiping your glasses with paper towels

I use a few microfibers only for cleaning. I wash them whenever I feel like it in the laundry

With other glasses, I have used the cloth bag as a wrap over the frames inside of the zippered case. That way the lenses are protected from the zipper (a weird concern of mine, I guess...lol), the glasses are less likely to rattle around in the case and the bag is kept pretty clean and can be suitable for cleaning the lenses.

I just read what I wrote and it seems I have a touch of the OCDs!

I never use the sunglasses sock, I find it smears rather than clean. The Oakley cleaning kit is good and you get cleaning fluid which can be re-filled if you are lucky enough to live close to an Oakley store.

However, the best cloth I have come across is Calotherm (look on ebay), a microfibre cloth that was developed for cleaning optics. I cannot comment on their cleaning fluid though. It is by far the best cloth that I have ever come across and do not break the bank and, no, they do not scratch the lenses.

I have 3 old school Oakley microbags I use and they're all I use- remember those brownish ones from back in the day that were the consistency of thick silk almost? The new ones are GARBAGE- they don't even wipe anything off, but the classic ones will literally wipe and absorb like nobody's business. They're all I use and I wouldn't sell them ever for ANYTHING as they're irreplaceable.
I still have my brown MF bag that came with my Antix. I use a combination of the MF bags, oakley cleaning kit & that hydro whatever stick thing.
I also have a bunch of big yellow MF cloths around the house to clean off regular glasses & have a few that I use for drying off my 22"s after washing the car. I'm sure the clean ones would work for cleaning Oaks.

Back