• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does Anyone Here Home Brew?

dr.chop

I should Work at Oakley
Just curious, I got the itch to try craft beer making at the smallest scale...Home brew.

I did several years back until I helped set up a restaurant with a small brewery. Had 4 tanks for brewing. I have not touched it since, but it was a lot of fun. Here is a link to the restaurant I helped set up the brewing with.

Craft-Beers~~element10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did several years back until I helped set up a restaurant with a small brewery. Had 4 tanks for brewing. I have not touched it since, but it was a lot of fun. Here is a link to the restaurant I helped set up the brewing with.

Craft-Beers~~element10.jpg
WOW!!! That is bad ass!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got burnt out from brewing. Love it and need to get back in to it. Friends i started home brewing with still do it and compete all over Texas. Easiest way to start out is use a malt extract with grains and hops. I would do hopes while steeping then a finishing hops right before I filtered. To cool I would use bagged ice. I would just use ice. What got me started was watching a Good Eats episode on it. It was a great episode. I would always do ales as it is easier and you can top ferment at room temperature. With bottom fermenting you have to do it chilled.

Here in Colorado, this is very common, I think there's 5 hops stores in a 30 minute drive of me. I use just the basic 5g bucket system you can get different places. Whole Grain, partial grain, extract only, I've done most combinations of stuff.

So far my best was a Raspberry Brown Ale I made a few years ago, put in a huge can of Raspberry puree during fermentation. I tried to repeat using fresh Raspberry that I blended up and it just wasn't as good.

I have only done the MR beer route but I did mess with the ingredients alot. Keep thinking about going to the 5 gallon set-up though

I do not but from what I'm reading its so cool.

I gotta hand it to you guys it seems like it takes patience and talent to home brew. :thumb:

My version of home brewing is open the top sit back and drink. ;)

Awesome info...good to know...My sister actually got me a mt.beer kit a couple years ago, but I never used it...it still sits in the garage...I now have the itch (as if I have time for it), but I want to do it!! We have a local shop about 10 min away called beer beer & more beer that has some great kits...I figure Ill go the keg route since I won't have to wait an additional 1-2 weeks for a carbonation period. I like amber and browns and figure why not try...

Personal Home Brewery Kit #5 - Kegging Super Deluxe | MoreBeer

Back