• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does anyone know why Oakley's quality is becoming worse?

Do you think Oakley's Quality has dropped?

• Total voters

theafroman

Oakley Beginner
I used to own a old pair of Frogskins and the quality was really good. But this year I bought a new pair of Frogskins and it was like cheap plastic that you can find in any Sunglasses at a dollar store today. I also bought a fake pair of Frogskins just to compare the quality. They were almost the same. Why is Oakley's quality becoming worse?

Personally I don't think Frogskins are a good example. The newer Frogskins are intended to be an entry pair twice wise and whilst they do feel very cheap, I would argue they are pretty indestructible. I don't think twice about just putting them in my pocket without a case.

You will get comments, I am sure, that moving production to China is a cause etc. of a drop in quality. Personally, I don't think the production standards are any worse from visits I have made, on some levels I would argue it's better, but that is enough debate entirely.

If you look at some of the newer models, especially in the Sporting environment, whilst I don't like some of the newer designs and have been very critical in the past, the last 5-10 years have produced some of the best and most well made Oakley's ever seen, the radar range for example. We all have nostalgia here and there, but there's no way anyone can really argue the quality of the frames and lenses are turning into some sort of cheap, dollar store shades. Or is there? I'm sure somebody will now.......

Like I say, I've been around here for a few months now since popping my head up and have been very critical towards the brand at times, citing examples where I thought the company was going in the wrong direction etc., even resulting me leaving my role. But one thing I will stick up for the brand as a whole is in terms of quality, they really are continuing to push the boundaries in terms of the technical development of what we all love, a pair of cool looking sunglasses!

Personally I don't think Frogskins are a good example. The newer Frogskins are intended to be an entry pair twice wise and whilst they do feel very cheap, I would argue they are pretty indestructible. I don't think twice about just putting them in my pocket without a case.

You will get comments, I am sure, that moving production to China is a cause etc. of a drop in quality. Personally, I don't think the production standards are any worse from visits I have made, on some levels I would argue it's better, but that is enough debate entirely.

If you look at some of the newer models, especially in the Sporting environment, whilst I don't like some of the newer designs and have been very critical in the past, the last 5-10 years have produced some of the best and most well made Oakley's ever seen, the radar range for example. We all have nostalgia here and there, but there's no way anyone can really argue the quality of the frames and lenses are turning into some sort of cheap, dollar store shades. Or is there? I'm sure somebody will now.......

Like I say, I've been around here for a few months now since popping my head up and have been very critical towards the brand at times, citing examples where I thought the company was going in the wrong direction etc., even resulting me leaving my role. But one thing I will stick up for the brand as a whole is in terms of quality, they really are continuing to push the boundaries in terms of the technical development of what we all love, a pair of cool looking sunglasses!

Did they change the materials that make the Frogskins?

Did they change the materials that make the Frogskins?

I know basically zero about frogskins. Just did a Google search to see if I could help any. How old is your "old" pair? It seems that they were released in 1985. The recent re-releases are either made of O-Matter (normal) or Acetate (Frogskins LX). Some info here but I can't vouch for the accuracy: History -

I would say the quality has improved in many ways. The discontinuation of x metal has a lot of people upset, but that's not really a quality issue. Moving to China sucks because it's not made in USA, but quality wise that shouldn't Impact much, as has been stated.
With the introduction of carbonfiber into the frames (JFL, tincan/foil carbons, carbon blades, c six, and others) are all incredible pairs and great quality!

I don't think quality has really changed but the "mad science" factor has almost disappeared. Frames and styles are much more conservative now.

THAT said! With the new gearbox, madman and Badman frames coming out and lots of rumors I think that the "mad science" theme is sneaking back into the brand. So I only see positive things for the Oakley future!

OMatter should be OMatter, no matter where it's made. The recipe should be the same, is my guess.
I think it needs to still be made in the US because that is where its made and America is awesome instead of seeing the words "Made in China" on everything you see.

I think it needs to still be made in the US because that is where its made and America is awesome instead of seeing the words "Made in China" on everything you see.
'Murica ... Effff yeah!

As circular as your comments are... ( Needs to still be made in USA because that's where they're made) ... Oakley is owned by an Italian company who runs factories in China...

I haven't seen any build quality issues in the past years...

Just design/style issues...

'Murica ... Effff yeah!

As circular as your comments are... ( Needs to still be made in USA because that's where they're made) ... Oakley is owned by an Italian company who runs factories in China...

I haven't seen any build quality issues in the past years...

Just design/style issues...
They (Oakley) do make a point to say that all eyewear is "designed and engineered in the USA" despite the location of fabrication. Some items are still made in the US and a couple are made in Italy.
...Whatever good that does.

Latest Posts

Back