• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does anyone know why Oakley's quality is becoming worse?

Do you think Oakley's Quality has dropped?

• Total voters
'Murica ... Effff yeah!

As circular as your comments are... ( Needs to still be made in USA because that's where they're made) ... Oakley is owned by an Italian company who runs factories in China...

I haven't seen any build quality issues in the past years...

Just design/style issues...

You've hit the nail on the head. A lot of people are confusing crappy designs with a poor quality product. I more than anyone complain about crappy designs, but the glasses are still put together to very, very high standards. Having worked for a lot of companies over the years and then landing my dream job with Lux, there is no company I have ever worked for, or alongside that has such high and vigorous production standards and quality control as Lux as it now is or Oakley before.

Also, I get what is being said about the negative connotations about having 'Made in China', however as I mentioned before, I would go as far to argue that the quality of production standards at the highest level are as good, if not better than in the US or Europe. However, the main issue as I've also mentioned before about China is having the factories there, really has opened up the floodgates of counterfeit products.

I would say my Holbrooks feel a bit cheap in that they are quite lightweight and flexible which gives a perception of cheapness. I still really like them and they are really comfortable to wear though.

My JFL's on the other hand feel very high quality and sturdy. They are a relatively modern pair that I guess are made in China.

I think sometimes if a frame is designed to be lightweight and comfortable it may give a false sense that it is poorly made. I haven't tried a carbon blade yet but imagine this might be the case with them.

My take on why quality might be worse (I have yet to experience firsthand) would be possibly higher production. With current times and the overseas outsourcing, I wouldn't be surprised it Oakley had a higher output, especially with frames as popular as the Frogs and Holbrooks. With time, there also seems to be more models all out at once.

Only part of that equation I'm lost on is how O can keep up with their end doing the lens production in the US, although I've noticed the M2 still hasn't had replacement options.

To his to his own I guess quality wise, x metals are gone now that's quality there is more plastics now than metal nowadays even the bottle cleaners are plastics now I'd say optic wise top notch, frame wise not so imo.

I know basically zero about frogskins. Just did a Google search to see if I could help any. How old is your "old" pair? It seems that they were released in 1985. The recent re-releases are either made of O-Matter (normal) or Acetate (Frogskins LX). Some info here but I can't vouch for the accuracy: History -

I think my first pair of Frogskins were from the 80's i don't remember that. XD

This quality topic has already been discussed on other threads. Romeo 1 has spider cracks issues and Oakley plate paint on the ear stems tend to fade. I am pretty sure if it was "made in China", everyone is quick to say because it is "made in China". So bottom line, quality topic is subjective. Every item made in this world has issues regardless of where it is made.

The quality, in my limited experience, is still phenomenal. I bought my first pair of Oakley Antix when I graduated high school and they still look pretty damn good and thats no small feat since I work construction and as a lifeguard.

I wasnt in the loop about this moved production to China. Does that mean on the side of Oakley sunglasses it doesnt say anymore "made in usa" but "made in china"? I havent hought a new model in awhile but if thats the case id rather it say nothing.

P.S. not hating on China, everything is made there but to me Oakleys were always different because it was one of those rare products you got that was US made (and im not even American). I liked that detail.

Communist China supported the communist Vietcong in Vietnam against the Australian and American forces. The United States supported the Mujahideen vs the communist Soviets in Afghanistan. They defeated the soviets, but then turned their hate toward the US. China got revenge in the end, that is why Oakleys are now made in China and are crap quality, it's payback.

'Cause it's politics, man, politics.

There you have the answer to your question.

:lol:

Back