• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does Lens Cutting Interfere With XYZ Optics?

Rust is dead on. Yes there is a HUGE amount of hype, or "Creative" marketing in the whole laser test. Sure, they use a computer to determine the exact dead spec "Optical Center" of the lens when initially cut, but that is where all that ends. I will give you a perfect example as to why it is less of an issue to cry over "optical center" versus what Hero stated about quality of materials/coatings and the actual XYZ.

I have a friend who wanted an RX set of lenses for his Flak Jackets. Sent in the RX to Oakley and come to find out, not a single pair of sunglasses will allow for his pupil distance to be set as an rx. In prescription frames, no sweat, sunnies, not happening. Turns out there is only 1 model of RX frames that are considered "sport" that work. Now, he has worn Flaks as his outdoor biking specs for a long time, only aided with contact lenses. So if his pupil distance isn't RX friendly for that frame/lens offering, how does the "optical center" crap play into his benefit as a general non RX sunny? Now, consider the other factors like your head versus someone else's head, versus the created dummy head with the laser test equip. Is that dummy head anatomically correct? No. It is just a model. Nobody has a head in which the glasses sit dead square on their head at all times. Most people, if not all, have one ear that sits at a different position than the other, while some people have a larger profile (fatter head) than others. So what does that mean? Well, if your dome is wider, that means your frame bends and the lens geometry now changes from it's original placement. Fatter head means an outward bend of the stems forcing and inward angle on the lenses. Likewise, the offset ears now means that instead of say the left lens sitting equal to the right lens, you now have it lower or higher (depending on your ear placement). It is all marketing at that point. Sure, XYZ is huge, but I believe the whole "optical center" ploy is part of the HDO optics rather than XYZ. I have explained it before in the past the same way as now: HDO and XYZ are awesome sales tools, yes, hdo has some warranted truth, as does xyz, but in reality a lab test is only a test. In the real world, each person is different and things just aren't equal at that point. When you order your prescription shades from an eye doctor, there are measurements involved to make sure you get the best optics possible for the purpose of correcting vision and making it better. When you run in to a retailer and grab a pair of Oakleys or anything else, it is simply off the rack to no exact fit.

XYZ as described at the Co-Pilot event is the taper correction applied to the lenses where the center is thicker and thins to the outer edge. That is to combat the bending of light as it passes through a bent surface. Let's not forget RayBan didn't use HDO/XYZ until Lux bought Oakley, nobody did.

Wow, thanks! I was unaware that Ray Ban has used HDO/XYZ in their optics since the Luxottica merger. I do wonder how different these lenses actually are once you reach the higher-end stuff. Any way, thanks for more information to ponder.

I know this isn't the place to suggest that superior lenses exist to that of Oakley. Here is what I know: Mirror coatings are usually the last layer applied to the surface of a lens and measured in Microns. This leaves the exposed metal in a precarious situation and is easily scratched. There are lenses produced by a couple of competitors (non-luxxotica) that encapsulate the mirrors. The top coating of the lens is Quartz, very hard and scratch resistant (No such thing as Scratch proof, ask a diamond). There are many variations of products that are for most subjective. For example, a person with a small refractive error may prefer an amber lens, as it filters out some colors of the spectrum and produces a more clear image to the retina, a gray lens reduces transmisson of all colors equally and images appear "normal" for the wearer. For me Optical performance is paramount.
The eyes can tolerate horizontal misalignment to a greater degree than vertical ones. If one cutting a lens were to rotate a lens to cut out of a donor for whatever reason; now the polarization is misaligned as well as the base in prism. If the exact opposite rotation does not occuur to the corresponding lens now a vertical imbalance has occurred.
In a lens with no resultant power the is no optical center. The ground prism will continue to move the ray base-in the exact same amount at every point on the lens. If I were cutting a Rx lens I would not have a prism ground when I can achieve a net base-in prism by placement of the optical centers. A Rx lens if nothing else a prism in 360 degrees.

Kudos to you guys for this thread very informative.....lets leave the lens cutting to the professionals. :cool:

the cutting of the lens might not result in distortion. The mounting of the lens into a frame that does not have the same base curvature, will most likely cause distortion.

the cutting of the lens might not result in distortion. The mounting of the lens into a frame that does not have the same base curvature, will most likely cause distortion.

Not correct, I have used Goggle lenses and Radar lenses that typically have around a 5 base curvature on X Metals without issue. Yes-- If you tweak the lens unnaturally it will distort to a degree, however the goggle and radar lenses are so thin, that the curvature is not tweaked enough to make any issues. A Fuel Cell will distort. So your not wrong, but not totally correct either. Just my .02 from experience

Back