1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. TheDutchman92

TheDutchman92 Oakley Enthusiast

If I put away some fully boxed sunnies with unobtanium for safe keeping would they deteriorate over time or is that only when they come into contact with sweat?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

If you keep them in a cool dry place lol. You should be fine. Don't leave them in your garage they will break down from humidity. It it would take a long time. Happened to a pair of m frames I left in my tool box I forgot about. Rubbers became brittle

3. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

i think they should keep fairly well as long as you store them CLEAN. if there is already sweat in there it will only eat away at the rubber. ive had no issues so far but im OCD about cleaning the rubbers. i mean soap it, rinse it, push a cotton bud through to get every single bit out, and if its still oily, boil those suckers in water for 5-10 mins usually does the trick.

what frames are these for? vintage rubber was abit more prone to degrading... and in new ones, clear colors like rootbeer as well. white may discolor to yellowish. but clean is key.

4. TheDutchman92

Thinking of stashing some SJ 2.0s

5. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

yup just nice and clean should be your best bet.. and maybe in a cardboard box? the cardboard will buffer the humidity flux abit

6. TheDutchman92

I mean buy them NIB and never open them, should they be fine. Only going to do it with double ups

7. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

oh right.. sounds like there shouldnt be an issue.. only problem would be moisture so watch for that..

8. emergency3573

emergency3573 Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

Thanks for the info guys

9. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

A thin coat of talcom powder in a zip loc bag, I store my glasses in the box in a vacuum sealed bag.before you zip it closed suck out the remaining air.because remember humidity will fry out the glue on your box too.

10. eldiablojoe

eldiablojoe Oakley Beginner

I would throw some rice in the plastic bag I am storing them in. Natural desiccant, will soak up any moisture that does get in there.