• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does This Look Right?

yanki01

Oakley Beginner
I bought a pair of matte white flak jackets with black iridium polarized XLJ lens on the bay. I currently have a matte black frame with G30 XLJ lens i got from an Oakley store. Of course i want to verify everything on these and had a few questions.

They feel right, they look right, it came with a box and proper vault. Though i don't know if the box and numbers on the frame need to match? My matte black flakes that i got from the O store don't have any text on the frames so i can't compare it to that.

my main concern is the lens. my current G30 lens doesn't line up perfect to the lens that came with them. I attached a picture to show. they also don't "snap" in my black flakes as they go in easy on the whites, actually they don't go on at all...?

image_zps48599c0f.jpeg

Half Jacket 2.0 and the Flak Jacket have limited interchangeability. The Flak fits in the HJ2.0 frame, but the HJ lens is loose in a Flak frame I think? Dann had a video on the half-frame series and goes into hands-on details on that.

Could be lenses and frames being off. I have lenses that won't fit in some frames, and fall out of others.

could be v1 xlj versus v2. they changed it midstream and made it smaller I believe. I have pix somewhere of the 2 sizes, but there is 2 different XLJ for flak

There was a revision to the shape of the Flak Jacket lens, which could explain the shapes not lining up. The critical area is the spacing of the hooks that hold it into the frame.

ok apperantly it's my matte black frame. I need to work in the new lens with the frame. they are a bit smaller in size on the bottom. I checked all the other flak polarized XLJ lenses at my local store and all are the same size as the ones I bought. they all did have a tight fit and some I didn't bother forcing anymore into the frame.

Are you flexing the frame on install as well as removal? When I had a Half Jacket and a handful of lenses I had a set that needed to be installed by flexing the orbital in reverse of removal.

Back