• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Does X Metal Rust?

deegee

Oakley Beginner
Philippines
Hey guys!

I'm not really sure if this has been discussed before, Cant seem to find it here. anyways just wanna ask if oakley's xmetal rust?I saw an ad locally showing the rivets of a juliet on the nose bridge showing a little rust. so im not really sure, coz I was under the impression that x-metal was made to resist rust. Thanks fellas.

"Rust" in the traditional sense is iron oxide. Since X Metal is titanium it can't form rust, there's no iron. It will oxidize, similar to how aluminum will. You shouldn't see rest rust form though.

That's not to say Oakley made the rivets titanium, they could be steel. X Man or someone else can probably say with certainty, but from an engineering standpoint you generally want fasteners like screws and pins to fail before the main body of the part. This lets you replace a worn rivet instead of having to replace a nose bridge because the rivet widened the hole too much.

"Rust" in the traditional sense is iron oxide. Since X Metal is titanium it can't form rust, there's no iron. It will oxidize, similar to how aluminum will. You shouldn't see rest rust form though.

That's not to say Oakley made the rivets titanium, they could be steel. X Man or someone else can probably say with certainty, but from an engineering standpoint you generally want fasteners like screws and pins to fail before the main body of the part. This lets you replace a worn rivet instead of having to replace a nose bridge because the rivet widened the hole too much.

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah you have a point there. It would make sense to make the body more durable than the screws itself but anyway here's a pic of the juliet i'm talking about:

1051577791032001031e4da.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah its stainless rivets i think..but as you know those things do corrode as well. looks like just surface damage, and easily cleaned on this one.. i wouldnt hesistate to pick this one up, especially with the old style sticker ont he box (this was the 2nd release sticker i believe). first releases state the frame color as black instead of xmetal.

That's good to hear, yeah it's 2nd gen, I'm actually contemplating of getting this, the good thing about it is that the box and serial matches: Jxxxx0,

BTW Brip how do you usually clean it?just alcohol?or warm soapy water? sorry newbie on x metals. hehe

That's good to hear, yeah it's 2nd gen, I'm actually contemplating of getting this, the good thing about it is that the box and serial matches: Jxxxx0,

BTW Brip how do you usually clean it?just alcohol?or warm soapy water? sorry newbie on x metals. hehe

i always start with warm water and a good soaping. if that doesnt do it, you have to get more aggressive.. with the xmetal frame you want to be careful not to damage the finish - very lightly brush the rivet area with a scotch brite pad - too much can polish it.. so just try a tiny bit and see if that cleans it. then use maybe a needle or a pin to scrape out around the rivets where the scotch brite can't reach.

good luck.

Back