• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Donar Lens For R1 And Xx Metal

• Thread starter nightpusher1
  • Start date
N

nightpusher1

Can anyone tell me whether a shield type lens such as radar path can be used to cut lenses for Romeo 1 or xx metals.

Sure it can. If it is large enough that the new lens lays over and there is enough to cut, then by all means. Will not have the same base curve, but optics will still be Oakley HDO

Yeah I tried cutting a penny lens from an Mframe- it works, but the curve is wrong and IMO it's not good as you have to flex the lens to make it fit in the frame and that causes slight distortion. I would recommend using a proper base curved lens instead..

Right then,based on the two replies here,I think I will wait and get a suitable lens with the correct curve,finding it hard though to source the lenses mentioned in the forum as being suitabe for R1,especially in the colours I want. Thankyou both for your input.

It's a 8.75 base curve you're looking for, that will suit all the xmetals inc the Romeo. Most non-shield lens sport frames will have the right curve- flak, fast, halfJ etc. now the only question left is just HOW big is the jawbone lens and can we use it to cut for every xmetal?

It's a 8.75 base curve you're looking for, that will suit all the xmetals inc the Romeo. Most non-shield lens sport frames will have the right curve- flak, fast, halfJ etc. now the only question left is just HOW big is the jawbone lens and can we use it to cut for every xmetal?

Is the mars the same curve?

Yeah I tried cutting a penny lens from an Mframe- it works, but the curve is wrong and IMO it's not good as you have to flex the lens to make it fit in the frame and that causes slight distortion. I would recommend using a proper base curved lens instead..

Right, but he isn't asking about a penny, and you don't get a G26 in an 8.75 base...Just saying. Of course the same
base is best, but this constant question of "what works" is borderline lame. What works is usually what is available. But 24k, G26 Violet, etc aren't always available in "what works" so you must make it work. Just like the whole split jacket fits R1...Not entirely, there is a gap at the bottom or top depending on how cut because it is shorter. Simply put, what works is what fits. Also, to address the slight distortion, according to the laser in the rolling o lab, an m Frame based G26 Dog I did scoped better than
the factory Eyepatch on the reps head, so you must have some uber sensitive eyes and a Penny is very small so any distortion is concentrated into a very small spot

Right, but he isn't asking about a penny, and you don't get a G26 in an 8.75 base...Just saying. Of course the same
base is best, but this constant question of "what works" is borderline lame. What works is usually what is available. But 24k, G26 Violet, etc aren't always available in "what works" so you must make it work. Just like the whole split jacket fits R1...Not entirely, there is a gap at the bottom or top depending on how cut because it is shorter. Simply put, what works is what fits. Also, to address the slight distortion, according to the laser in the rolling o lab, an m Frame based G26 Dog I did scoped better than
the factory Eyepatch on the reps head, so you must have some uber sensitive eyes and a Penny is very small so any distortion is concentrated into a very small spot

It's still nice to have some sort of base point for what lenses can be used where.