1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Tomtucker

Tomtucker Oakley Enthusiast

Always wondered about this, so i googled around and found no rule saying they can´t wear sunglasses. Strange to me since we see them squinting their eyes all the time. The other players are often squirting as well, i say to myself "wear some shades you fool."

Anyone noticed this too ? And perhaps know why we never see pitchers wear sunglasses.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. SecretNinja

SecretNinja Oakley Expert

Maybe a preference kinda thing. Like people always asking me what time it is. Why not just wear a watch?

3. iamFLIP

iamFLIP [{#%^*+_\|~<>?!$&@}] Premium Member

Maybe, so they can read the catcher's hand signals better.

#1 Stunna! likes this.
  4. ucdavis4PT0gpa

ucdavis4PT0gpa THE BEST IS YET TO COME

Outside of the MLB (and MLB minor affiliates) it's more common- ESPECIALLY in HS and little league. I've seen hitters in things like Fire Iridium Flaks and pitchers too. The only rule about it as far as pitchers are concerned is that umps can order removal if the glasses are deemed to be "distracting". It IS an interesting question as to why it's not common later on though especially with the development of targeted lenses like Prizm Baseball Infield etc. I've heard things like that curved sport lenses actually shift where the ball appears to be ever so slightly - but I've tested that theory causally and I don't experience it...also if that was true then fielders should have an issue with locating the ball too and they don't.

Tomtucker likes this.
  5. Tomtucker

When MLB players wear sunglasses it is usually Oakley. Does anyone know if all those players are sponsored by Oakley and can get as many sunglasses as they want , or is there a limit ? Or do they buy them themselves with a big discount ?

Guess these questions are hard to answer for us forum members, wish an mlb or Oakley insider could help out here :)

6. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

They buy them.

7. Tomtucker

Really ? :eek:

I thought they got them for free, i mean it´s free advertising for Oakley.

8. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

There's about .0001 people in the world who get Oakleys for free. Baseballs players aren't them.

9. Slojack

Slojack Oakley Collector Premium Member

As a former pitcher, it's really hard (as a righty) to look at first while in the stretch. Even with M Frame/Orbital-less glasses, there's a view blockage.

10. Slojack

Slojack Oakley Collector Premium Member

We used to get free Oakleys in college. Rep would pass around a select catalog and we picked our Frame, lenses, and zipper case.