• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Downside To Polarized?

Personally I find them annoying. The way they mess up electronic screens, show weird reflections etc bug me. I don't see a real upshot to them to be honest. Almost starting to think they've been a marketing gimmick since the beginning with that Maui Jim sign at Sunglass Hut that turns all colorful when you put the glasses on. Unless someone can tell me about a hidden benefit to my eyes I jus can't see?

Basically, think of polarization like horizontal shutter blinds on your window (but micro versions of them). These "blinds" will block any light coming directly at you (which is mostly light reflecting off surfaces) but will let light coming from other angles (like the sun above you) pass sort of like the blinds of your window will let light at certain angles pass while not letting light from other angles pass all the way through (when your blinds aren't completely closed). The upshot of what this means is that the polarization will let in normal light but will block polarized light (light which has been reflected off a surface before reaching your eyes).

Long story short, for areas where you're going to have light bouncing off a lot of surface before reaching your eyes: i.e., bodies of water, places with lots of metal or reflective surfaces, polarization can help your eyes cut out that excess glare.

Oddly, i get eye strain from Maui Jim polarized, but somehow, I do not from Oakley polarized. I can not explain this.
Is it possible there are different polarizing treatments that would cause more eye strain?
Yep. Oakley polarized lenses are 1 solid piece of lens that is polarized. I think they infuse the filter or something like that. Maui takes several pieces, applies a filter and essentially sandwiches their lenses together with glue in several layers. That can cause distortion and ultimately give your eyes some strain issues if worn for several hours.

Basically, think of polarization like horizontal shutter blinds on your window (but micro versions of them). These "blinds" will block any light coming directly at you (which is mostly light reflecting off surfaces) but will let light coming from other angles (like the sun above you) pass sort of like the blinds of your window will let light at certain angles pass while not letting light from other angles pass all the way through (when your blinds aren't completely closed). The upshot of what this means is that the polarization will let in normal light but will block polarized light (light which has been reflected off a surface before reaching your eyes).

Long story short, for areas where you're going to have light bouncing off a lot of surface before reaching your eyes: i.e., bodies of water, places with lots of metal or reflective surfaces, polarization can help your eyes cut out that excess glare.
Man. .. That's a pretty good analogy.

I always wondered, does one become reliant on polarized lenses with use?

I'll admit that since I've used sunglasses more regularly, I'm less able to cope with sunlight without them. Like, my eyes are no longer "conditioned" to deal with such outside light. I wonder if polarized lenses just add to that..

...or has the sun really gotten that much worse/brighter in the past 4 years?

Personally I would say so - I've constantly used sunglasses every time I'm outside during daylight hours for around 25 years, since sometime in early in high school. That has included rainy and overcast days for about the last 10. And since I went polar, non-polar just won't cut it.

But the days when I end up wearing one of my few non-polar, I eventually get used to it, though I don't like it. Same with the brief moments (5-10 mins) I've been caught outside without shades, rare though that may be...

Like with temperatures, your body will adjust to the conditions it's exposed to, over time. That's why I go windows-down instead of using the AC while driving in the Texas summer heat (which has earned me an international reputation) - it conditions me to put up with it. But with my eyes, I prefer to expose them to the ideal conditions of a pair of polar Oaks...

Last edited:
Too many people treat polarized lenses like they are simply "the top lens", when that is just not the case. A true 3D polarized lens is not intended for all-around use. I personally could not stand to use polarized lenses every day for every situation. They intrude much more on your viewing experience than standard tinted lenses do. That said, they have their place - I have a Radarlock array that is all polarized, which I use anytime i'm on the water or snow (frequent for me). In those conditions, the lenses are phenomenal and their advantages FAR outweigh their disadvantages. But even for driving, they make automobile control screens difficult to nearly impossible to read, they make tinted windows look like rainbows (I feel like im on acid in my wife's fully tinted car), and they mess with depth perception. I actually feel UNCOMFORTABLE wearing them while driving.

So I definitely do not recommend polarized lenses for general use. They should be on a secondary frame or a special-use frame like my Radarlock array is for me.

Too many people treat polarized lenses like they are simply "the top lens", when that is just not the case. A true 3D polarized lens is not intended for all-around use. I personally could not stand to use polarized lenses every day for every situation. They intrude much more on your viewing experience than standard tinted lenses do. That said, they have their place - I have a Radarlock array that is all polarized, which I use anytime i'm on the water or snow (frequent for me). In those conditions, the lenses are phenomenal and their advantages FAR outweigh their disadvantages. But even for driving, they make automobile control screens difficult to nearly impossible to read, they make tinted windows look like rainbows (I feel like im on acid in my wife's fully tinted car), and they mess with depth perception. I actually feel UNCOMFORTABLE wearing them while driving.

So I definitely do not recommend polarized lenses for general use. They should be on a secondary frame or a special-use frame like my Radarlock array is for me.
Of the 3 screens in my car the only one that is partially blocked by polarized lenses is the radio. I can live with that. My car's tint doesn't look funny at all.

But wearing polarized lenses in bright light, even when driving, stops me from getting massive headaches and eye fatigue.

Their benefits FAR outweigh any drawbacks for me.

Back