• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Downside To Polarized?

Maui Jim make the best polarized lenses though...wish Oakley would up its game in the optics dept, instead of making new frames or failures I.e. breadbox

can someone explain why polarized lens alter depth perception? Should we never use polarized lens when playing tennis or a active sport?

Basically you are used to judging depth with glare. Your eyes do not block glare so you are used to seeing things with glare. Suddenly take it away and you are thrown off.

Not a huge difference, but when you are playing a sport every bit makes a difference.

So it is up to the user to decide if polar is good for sport. Sometimes it can be beneficial for one sport but not for others.

Effect on depth perception is also a proven fact.

Once again I must question this "fact". And I'm not trying to start an argument, only to uncover the truth.

As a skeptic / critical thinker, in general practice I do not pass along hearsay as fact without verifying it. In younger days I was more open to taking what people claim were facts at face value, then over time I learned how many of those "facts" were wrong.

Skepticism does not mean being closed minded - it's the opposite, you're open minded to any possibility, if evidence can back it up...

So, though I had no reason to doubt your belief, I finally got around to researching polarization's effects on depth perception, just so if I repeat it in the future, I have some confidence in its accuracy.

I could not find a single thing to back up that polarization hurts depth perception. Only more hearsay. On the contrary, the only study on the subject I could find at all was done by ADX Sports Eyewear in 2008 where they tested three common beliefs about polarization - they shouldn't be worn by motorcyclists because they make it harder to see puddles, they shouldn't be worn by skiers because they make it harder to see ice patches, and that they shouldn't be worn by golfers because they affect depth perception. It found all three of these beliefs to be false.

Now I have to question this study, too - ADX Sports Eyewear sells sunglasses; they're a biased source. And there's no details on how those things were tested, how well the scientific method was followed. But it's the only thing I could find, and it was referenced on multiple sites.

I invite anybody to post a link to a proper study on the subject, whatever the results may be.

But until then I must apply Occam's Razor - stereoscopic vision creates depth perception. The idea that we use glare to judge depth perception and by blocking glare through polarization, depth perception suffers - it's not the simplest of the potential complete answers and thus on it lies the burden of proof.

Other than cost and LCD issues, is there any real downside? I have never worn a pair so I have nothing to work with. I know LCD can be an issue, but these days there probably isn't much of that left to worry about. Thanks!

I am just going to say, & I have not read any other Post in this thread yet, but as far as LCDs, etc., ... when I wear ANY of my Polarized lenses ... from Gray, to 00 Red, to Black Iridium, etc., I have zero problem seeing my TV, my iPod, the readout on my double-DIN aftermarket Pioneer deck in my car, etc., etc. I do not know if I am a rare breed, or am special, or what, ... now I do see where there is a "weird" type of almost 3D effect, but after a half second of looking at the same thing/screen, I am fine, & can control my stereo, iPod, etc., from any reasonable distances ...

My vision is not the greatest, ... but I do not have the need for corrective lenses for anything.

PS: Sorry if that came across as something other than pleasant, I just do not know what others have trouble with ... I also have not had Polarized lenses for very long, they are somewhat new to me, ... so I just might have to hand them to some friends & family & see what they think.

Back