• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

DrChopShop.com Logo Design Contest

my only issue with the logo above is that the doctor sketch, while really cool and "mad-scientisty" looks a little bit dated to me..but thats just my humble little opinion..
It's certainly got an older feel to it. Harken to the old 'Rat Fink' art that inspired the Oakley 'Mad Scientist' artwork.

I think it's a pretty solid look, with a tweak on the Mad Science logo that Chop currently uses. Certainly a more safe execution to personalize the current logo (that I presume Chop is seeing pressure to stop using for trademark/copyright reasons).

I have tons of designs swirling in my head, but I have no artistic ability to try and get them on to paper. Which is part of why I'm focused so much on design work in my engineering career. I can make CAD work for me, boxes and shapes, physical construction, machining elements... but art is just lost when I try and bring it out.

i dont disagree.. i just wonder if using a new logo that has an older "antiquated" feel to it is the best way to go.. i love the Rat Fink hot rod style.. i guess it really depends on the feel DrChop is going for..I definitely like the addition of the airbrush and dremel.

i use CAD also in kitchen design..i had to teach myself a few years ago and go as far as 3d rendering before realizing i was going overboard on it. havent played with it much lately but i used to draw stuff on it all the time for fun

I think it's more so my need to quantify. While it's true that you can describe any curve with a mathematical formula that's above me. So art is infinitely imprecise, where my work is much more rigid and my mind can deal with those things.

This machined block is 1.875 inches, with a geometric tolerance of +/- .005, flatness defined as being perpendicular to its primary datum by variance no more than .002 inches, and a surface finish of 32 RMS. Good enough to seal water or oil in valve bodies when mated to an appropriately similar block. I can work with that, I know how that behaves, I can design a system with parameters given information like that. I can describe the tooling required, the speed and feed of the machine needed to achieve it given a material, the horsepower required for a given depth of cut, the stress of the material during chip formation, the impurities of the material as a function of the angle formed by the chip as it is cut via the rake angle of the tooling. I can calculate the holding force the vise needs to apply to hold the workpiece in its jaws.

Numbers, and formulae, and physical definition from a set of standards. Combine it all and I design new methods for robot grippers and actuators, heat transfer manifolds to cool dispense guns in canning facilities, pressure relief systems for regulation of hazardous environment systems, polishing tools to work on the surface of jet engine turbines.

But any time I try to freehand or construct with splines I'm left with an annoying sensation to continue to move and reshape lines. The imperfection of my work infuriates me and I just cannot make a connection between what my mind sees and what my hand draws.

im the precise exact total opposite.

numbers, equations, algebra make my head spin..putting a line down, feehanding, etc. is how my brain works.

A little redraw
py9y3ave.jpg

Ahhh man, some cool ideas. Diggin some of this a lot!! Will be posting up more tomorrow. Last night and today beat me senseless, but worth 100% of it!! Awesome times at the RED event. Great to meet members in person

You artists and creative people are doing some amazing work...

But mine was done with sharpie by tracing over pictures on my monitor!!! (and yes the marker bled through onto the screen. No worries it was someone elses monitor!

Latest Posts

Back