• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ducati Crosshair Unobtanium Rubber Problem???

V2oak

Oakley Man from Manila
New Jersey
Does anyone have a problem with their oakleys unobtanium rubber? I have a Ducati Crosshair that is rarely used and its been seating in my oakley shelf for a longtime, I noticed that even though I rarely use them they produce some oily liquid. I know that this only happens when you use your oakley almost everyday like my Wiretap RX and soon after it will crack. I called oakley and they said that they don't have replacement rubbers for Ducati Crosshair because its been discontinued for a very long time. Can someone give me an advise on how to prevent this from happening or does anyone of you has the same experience????

Most of the members here have a decade old pair and did not have that problem with their unobtanium rubber.
In my honest opinion, rubbers in general go to their "original state" which is liquid after a long period of time.
BUT you can prevent this with proper care. We have a "how to care for your glasses section here" which covers about everything.
I'm still keeping the rubbers of my eye jacket in my stash and they are still in excellent condition given their age.

Actually I have a collection of different old and new oakley and this is the only pair that is having a problem with the unobtanium. I have the Old straight jacket and this is one of my vintage pair and I never had the same problem. Is soaking it in soap and water helps?

Actually I have a collection of different old and new oakley and this is the only pair that is having a problem with the unobtanium. I have the Old straight jacket and this is one of my vintage pair and I never had the same problem. Is soaking it in soap and water helps?

Pinoy ka pala! kamusta?

Yup, pinoy here!
Hmmmm. That is weird. I think they used the same material for the rubber. Maybe our gurus here can shed light on the issues regarding the rubbers of your crosshair.
Yes mild soap and warm water will surely prolong life of the rubbers. Sweat is the main culprit and it is wise to wash them regularly.

Thanks Bro! Actually I ask oakley about it and they said that it is very unusual for the unobtanium to get oily specially if you rarely use it. What I did before is I wash them with soap and water and after that I dry them up and I put some baby powder to keep them dry and it works for several months, and now I check them out and it has a lot of oil specially when I take them off from the frame, it was like somebody put some baby oil on it. Anyway I did watch and read the thread on how to take care of your oakley, and it is very helpful. Thanks for the Info.

Happens to me too. Do you use hair products like gel or wax? Unobtanium usually cleans up well with mild soap and water. Just remember to wipe it dry before reinstalling. If all else fails, drop by Meera Enterprises in Makati to check if they still have ear socks for your Crosshair Ducatis. Good luck!

Hahaha sorry didn't check where you're based. I was able to get replacement earsocks for my Crosshairs last July though. Let me ask for you the next time I get to drop by

Back