• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Earsock Questions

Ventruck

I am Jim Jannard...
1) is there a "correct" method to slipping them on? I've used hot water before, and it makes it easier compared to what feels like putting the frame at risk, but does that risk them getting loose/stretched more easily?

2) on that note, once they stretch, there's no going back - or is there? The ones on my Radarlock started stretching and back end was creeping to the end of the stems; but they seem perfect otherwise. I'm not sure if it was from general use (cycling) or repeated cleaning over time. I guess I can use them as pen grips if there's no saving them.

1) is there a "correct" method to slipping them on? I've used hot water before, and it makes it easier compared to what feels like putting the frame at risk, but does that risk them getting loose/stretched more easily?

2) on that note, once they stretch, there's no going back - or is there? The ones on my Radarlock started stretching and back end was creeping to the end of the stems; but they seem perfect otherwise. I'm not sure if it was from general use (cycling) or repeated cleaning over time. I guess I can use them as pen grips if there's no saving them.

In a store setting where we change them regularly for people we use a silicone based spray that just helps it slide on a lot easier for us. It doesn't damage the frame or the rubber and evaporates relatively quickly.

As for stretching the earsock, once that happens, from what I have seen personally over the years is that you can't really come back from them being over stretched or frayed.

Hope that helps a little.

In a store setting where we change them regularly for people we use a silicone based spray that just helps it slide on a lot easier for us. It doesn't damage the frame or the rubber and evaporates relatively quickly.

As for stretching the earsock, once that happens, from what I have seen personally over the years is that you can't really come back from them being over stretched or frayed.

Hope that helps a little.

Helps a lot, finding out for sure that it is in some practice to use a spray solution. If ever possible, I would be curious to what exactly it is. I'd assume the quick evaporation serves better than water.

I use plain water to remove the ear socks.
For putting them on, I pour a few drops of plain Ivory dishwashing liquid soap into the opening of the earsock (the side that will slip onto the stem first), and they slide on well. Just don't get any of the soap on your fingers, or on the outside of the socks, or you won't be able to get any traction or your fingers will slip right off.
At my local Vault, they put Pur hand sanitizer on the earstem and the socks seem to slide on easily.

Very useful info. Been thinking of changing the ear socks on my half jackets. Now I don't have to worry about ruining the new ones. Thanks!

Latest Posts

Back