1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. David_Oakley

David_Oakley Oakley Enthusiast

I did a search on threads related to this topic and found mostly Swapping Earstems. However, my question is a slight tangent from those topics.

Both earstems on one of my daily wear Juliets swings open and close quite freely. There is very little no resistance due to wear and tear. The screws appear to be as "snug" as they can be.

Is this just a matter of me adding new washers to the hinges to give it the factory stiffness again?

Thanks

David

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Yes - if the screws are snug, likely the nylon washers wore out. In a pinch (pun intended) you can overtighten the screws to make them more snug but I don't recommend it.

OEM washers have two above / two below. LG replacement washers are thicker so it's one above / one below. As long as it prevents metal rubbing on metal...

3. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

So....you lost your factory stiffness? :p

Psssttt... @OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ likes this.
  4. David_Oakley

Thanks. I've never messed with the earstem hinges before. So first time for everything I guess.

OakleyFrankFMJ likes this.
  5. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

That's what SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SAID!

6. KillerCollector

KillerCollector Oakley Expert Premium Member

You beat me to it. LMFAO

7. David_Oakley

Well, the erection of the earstems onto the orbitals from the factory were quite the stiffy. After use over time (Age, repetitive open/shut), the stiffness of the originally erected assembly has limped out quite a bit.

joecool862 likes this.
  8. David_Oakley

So after adding new washers (say LG), will it have the same feeling as factory tight?

9. pupusasrock

pupusasrock Oakley Enthusiast

I just noticed today that I have a pair that are the same way. I have never replaced them myself. Are LG washers pretty good or is there another brand that is preferred? Is it a difficult thing do to?

10. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

If I recall correctly the x-man uses LG washers when he does tuneups. I've never taken a pair done with them and analyzed side-by-side how they compare to a pair still factory tight, but subjectively they seem as good as.

Actually I'm not aware of another brand other than LG. Yes, they do the trick. And yes, replacing them is a major pain in the ass, OEM or LG. There's a thread or two around here with some tips to make it a little easier.