• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Earstem width comparison Juilet & X-Squared

pistolpetefan23

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
So I'm starting to consider dipping my toes in the X Metal waters. Had a couple pairs of Juliets a few years back that I didn't keep long. They were way too narrow for my big head, not the orbitals but the width of the earstems. I could barely get them on, in fact. So I'm wondering if the earstems on X-Squared are wider to where it would be easier to get on and off, and not pinch my head too much.

Anyone with insight, or better yet side by side pics? Thanks.

Lol when I first read this I thought you were asking about a comparison between the Juliet and the XX, not the XS...

Earstems are quite different on the XS; they're not as long and the tips flare a little bit, so they more grip your skull than wrap around it. Some don't mind but it's the most annoying thing about the pair IMO and some others feel the same.

20160127_205355.jpg

20160127_205434.jpg

Might I suggest a R1 or R2; they are particularly comfortable, especially the R2, and good for big heads...

I think what OP is referring to is that he is trying to put them on like regular sunglasses. Many people have a difficult time doing this. With most X-Metals (excluding those with spring hinges), they should be slid on from on top of the head like goggles rather than put straight on the face. This will really help, if I have read your post correctly. Not so much a matter of how wide the earstems open, but rather re-education on how to put them on.

Lol when I first read this I thought you were asking about a comparison between the Juliet and the XX, not the XS...

Earstems are quite different on the XS; they're not as long and the tips flare a little bit, so they more grip your skull than wrap around it. Some don't mind but it's the most annoying thing about the pair IMO and some others feel the same.

View attachment 217984

View attachment 217985

Might I suggest a R1 or R2; they are particularly comfortable, especially the R2, and good for big heads...
Thanks. Like R1, but don't think I can ever justify what they go for. Not really a fan of aesthetics of R2.

I think what OP is referring to is that he is trying to put them on like regular sunglasses. Many people have a difficult time doing this. With most X-Metals (excluding those with spring hinges), they should be slid on from on top of the head like goggles rather than put straight on the face. This will really help, if I have read your post correctly. Not so much a matter of how wide the earstems open, but rather re-education on how to put them on.
Interesting, I hadn't ever heard that tip before. Not sure how much that would help with my big head, but something to consider. Thanks.

Interesting, I hadn't ever heard that tip before. Not sure how much that would help with my big head, but something to consider. Thanks.

You might also consider a pair with hammerstems, they are a little wider than the standard straight stems. Ex: XMXX, or polished Juliet.

Actually hammerstems flare out close to the hinge but by the place they straighten back out they match the spacing of normal stems. When I was a newbie I asked about that; there's a thread somewhere with some good comparison pics but I can't dig it out right now. Maybe search "hammers" posted by me, a couple of years old...

Have you checked what size temple shocks the Juliet has in? I find 25s too tight, but I'm fine with 15s.
I am the same. I also use the smaller nose pieces because they sit too high with the bigger nose pads installed. My wife has a smaller head so the 25s and big nose pads work great for her. Amazing difference between a pair with 15s/small nose pads and 25s/big nose pads.

Back