1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Eckstream1

Eckstream1 Addicted to O

I was wondering how everyone removes their earsocks....
    I'm looking at some new rubber for a couple of pairs and it's always a pain getting the new rubber on. :headbang:

So... How do you guys do it? Any tips or tricks?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Rubyskull

Rubyskull Ichiro addict

USE PUREL,IT'S THE BEST WAY MY FRIEND

Eckstream1 likes this.
  3. Rubyskull

Rubyskull Ichiro addict

hand sanitizer
    don't need to put a lot btw

4. CarGuy

CarGuy Oakley Expert Premium Member Lifetime Member

I use a toothpick and some hand lotion. (Insert joke here: _______________)
    I get some lotion on the end of the toothpick, then slide it in between the ear sock and stem at the end of the stem and work it around the inside of the stem.
    Then the ear sock slides right off after twisting it around a couple times.
    Install is I stick the end of the arm in the lotion and slide the ear sock on.
    A little dab will do you in both operations.
    What does everyone else do?

Eckstream1 likes this.
  5. Dyeraudio

Dyeraudio Juliet Enthusiast

Soak the earstem in really hot water for about 45 seconds. Sock slides right off.

A.k. Thomas and Eckstream1 like this.
  6. nlgrav182

nlgrav182 Oakley Enthusiast

A little hand soap on the ear stem works great, and I believe it was the recommendation by Oakley on the M-Frame Strap kit.

Eckstream1 likes this.
  7. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Oakley Enthusiast

To get 'em off, do like Dyer says and soften 'em up in hot water. Or you can just use the "worm walk" method starting at the back and working forward.

To slide 'em back on, use a small bit of hand sanitizer or any drugstore product that is at least 90% glycerin (sometimes you can get pure glycerin from your druggist...just ask). It won't harm the O-Matter and won't leave behind any residue.

Glycerin is also handy for lubing O-Matter hinges that creak. I've used glycerin on my Radar and Flak frames to cure the creaking and it makes the stems open and close more smoothly, too. For Flaks, just pop off the stem, a little on the hinge area of the stem, pop the stem back on (it'll go back in a lot easier now, too). For Radars, use a toothpick or eyedropper.

Eckstream1 likes this.
  8. Dyeraudio

Dyeraudio Juliet Enthusiast

If hot water isn't working to get them back ON, then hand sanitizer is the way to go. The alcohol will pretty much evaporate leaving you with a pretty solid installation. Lotion can leave the sock spinning in the earstem for quite some time.

A.k. Thomas and Eckstream1 like this.
  9. atrain

atrain O-Forums Boss of Bosses

Man I wish I would have had this thread a few months ago when I was fighting with putting some earsocks on my 24k. :)

Either way now I know thanks for the info guys.

10. Ares176

Ares176 Oakley Beginner

This should have been asked earlier... I could have save some fingerprints from being rubbed off when trying to remove or replace the earsocks....:)