• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Easter fun - Oakley projects, painting, lens cutting, etc!

nicosauve1

I should Work at Oakley
Humboldt County, CA
Finally got a day off the grad school slam...awesome weather, and had the inspiration!
Thanks @MJLSr for the 24k frame! Serialized 1st gen beauty with this awesome bone/light plasma
I've showed the difference to my other 24k (x-man clearguarded w/chrome lenses I cut) with a reference shot side by side, right after I received it:
photo1_zpsqcpycerr.jpg
Now, I proceeded to be BALLSY and try my hand at frame mods for the first time! The plasma was starting to get those 1st gen dark marks, especially around the nose bombs. I sprayed it with 3 coats all around of matte clear spray I bought from a hardware store, to protect the 24k and stop the plasma from deteriorating.
I then proceeded to cut myself violet lenses from oem big taco donors I had. Results:
photo%2014_zpsiotulbhp.jpg
photo%2024_zpstnzbhhl3.jpg
photo%2032_zpswfoxwpvn.jpg
photo%2042_zps846xwdvk.jpg
photo%2052_zpsyrmbsfrn.jpg
photo%2023_zpsolwj5xuy.jpg
NOT DONE YET! I also cut myself some RUBY lenses for my PB1 rootbeer from big tacos as well. Results:
photo%2041_zps7gmmndmu.jpg
photo%2051_zpsu52n4lei.jpg
photo%2012_zpsjadygrvf.jpg
photo%2022_zpsgjxvzwiy.jpg
NOT DONE YET! Also began a project R1 straight stem. Decided on SHELL WHITE. I taped off the serial numbers on both the R1 center piece and the Juliet straight stem. Then, Sprayed 3 coats per side each peice (rustoleum). Then, clear matte spray each side 3 coats. Custom cutting ruby lenses for them when done. This isn't finished yet by a long shot, but on it's way.
photo_zps7lwxvtcl.jpg
Super excited about everything I accomplished today, I CAN DO IT!

I hope what doesn't happen is when you use a rattle can or any cheap clear coat it will yellow like crazy. I know because I have used rattle can white and looked good then cleared and that looked really good until a day or so later. Good luck.

Nic!!!!!!!!!...rustoleum !!!!!!!
Order some cerakote and an airbrush,youll like the results better.and you can paint anything in your worldly possessions with a kick assed coating.but the beauty of it all is you can strip it off and you still have your x metals.

@X-Man I have an airbrush but no compressor yet. I will level up in life eventually.
I also realized the worst case is that I wasted 5$ on a can of paint. Yeah, can always strip down and redo a different way.
until then, we'll see how this goes. Hey these might end up on their way to you for help in the end. but, worth a try is what I thought

Good job on DIY!! Unique color combinations that stand out. Good luck on finishing these projects.