• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Eastern Boarder Prototype?

There is little doubt that the Yellow/Ice (or Blue) EB is a genuine Oakley Frogskin. The question about authenticity concerns the frame and logo colouring, ie, was this factory produced or was it from a third party. There is little to question a concern about the legitimacy of the lenses....easy to get either Ice or Blue authentic product. I would wonder why Oakley would factory produce the Yellow over a White frame with the arms attached and with some inconsistency in the colour to reveal the white on various parts of the frame. The ebay close ups of the logos 'in my opinion' show the icon painted with a blue paint and the absolute contours of lines and curves of the logos are not followed.

I would also question why Tabor Coates, the company owner, who was fully involved and in receipt of the three official EB Frogskins, had not even heard of this glass until I questioned him about it, and said as far as he knew there were just the 3 releases. Why would the warehouse manager instead happen to get either 1 or 2 'rumoured' pairs that Oakley made specifically for him? Bear in mind also, there is no additional aspects that could help to confirm a genuine piece, such as an etching, or a bag, or company script on the frame. Even if it is real, made by Oakley, and they did the colours, and gave the 1 or 2 to the warehouse manager without Tabor's knowledge, there is no way to prove it is genuine.

My opinion is, it was once an original Frogskin that has had all contents like the box etc discarded, customised by a third party, and made possibly as an attribute to EB. Put it this way, I don't have one in my collection, it is not on my wants list, and not included in my Frogskins 3rd Gen complete list that I compiled for the Forum. Consider also, what is to stop anyone simply painting a pair of Frogskins the same, adding an Ice lens, then saying "Hey this is a 1 of maybe 2 EB Prototype"? There would essentially be no difference to such a pair and the one discussed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
So based on that the first eb isn't collectible because there is nothing to verify it's authenticity. No company printing or anything.

Also most frogs the logo isn't perfectly applied. I have plenty of authentic examples of that.

Yep what he Ashley said. Prob for sure frogs just not a genuine prototype and no way to back it up. Not like purple Juliet's where someone from Oakley verified

Except the logos are factory. If you could see them in person you would understand. But if they weren't then yeah I would agree with rvf.

See the pic below.

Attachments

• 20141031_160428.jpg
    20141031_160428.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 399
So based on that the first eb isn't collectible because there is nothing to verify it's authenticity. No company printing or anything.

Also most frogs the logo isn't perfectly applied. I have plenty of authentic examples of that.

The first EB Frogskin is a White frame, came with a normal pink microbag, and had no box. There is debate about exactly what constitutes the 3D red and blue colour lenses. The bag and lenses are doable to make a copy and so is the orbital which could come from several sources. The proof of originality is in the arms, White with White logos, and no sku #, there is no other Frogskin with the same arms (aside from EB II & EB III). It is true that the UK Trevor Andrew is the same in colour, but that pair is a 'glow in the dark' frame, and that characteristic is not shared with any one of the 6 original and genuine EB 1. It is therefore possible to verify a real EB 1. I did however anticipate problems with fakes of this pair though and so when I purchased mine from Tabor he wrote a letter of authenticity on EB paper.
Regarding logos, I have 206 pairs of Gen 3, all of genuine Oakley manufacture (no custom/fake), and have yet to see any deviation of consistency in the text or colouring of the logos.

Last edited:
I can make that frame in .02 seconds with any polished white frame you would like to give me.

Wow because the other frame I pictured is slightly off too. Bought from oakley direct. I can show you several other examples as well from the store that are not perfect on the logo. And I have just a tiny collection compared to you. Either you need to look closer at your logos or I have the worst luck in the world.

There is little doubt that the Yellow/Ice (or Blue) EB is a genuine Oakley Frogskin. The question about authenticity concerns the frame and logo colouring, ie, was this factory produced or was it from a third party. There is little to question a concern about the legitimacy of the lenses....easy to get either Ice or Blue authentic product. I would wonder why Oakley would factory produce the Yellow over a White frame with the arms attached and with some inconsistency in the colour to reveal the white on various parts of the frame. The ebay close ups of the logos 'in my opinion' show the icon painted with a blue paint and the absolute contours of lines and curves of the logos are not followed.

I would also question why Tabor Coates, the company owner, who was fully involved and in receipt of the three official EB Frogskins, had not even heard of this glass until I questioned him about it, and said as far as he knew there were just the 3 releases. Why would the warehouse manager instead happen to get either 1 or 2 'rumoured' pairs that Oakley made specifically for him? Bear in mind also, there is no additional aspects that could help to confirm a genuine piece, such as an etching, or a bag, or company script on the frame. Even if it is real, made by Oakley, and they did the colours, and gave the 1 or 2 to the warehouse manager without Tabor's knowledge, there is no way to prove it is genuine.

My opinion is, it was once an original Frogskin that has had all contents like the box etc discarded, customised by a third party, and made possibly as an attribute to EB. Put it this way, I don't have one in my collection, it is not on my wants list, and not included in my Frogskins 3rd Gen complete list that I compiled for the Forum. Consider also, what is to stop anyone simply painting a pair of Frogskins the same, adding an Ice lens, then saying "Hey this is a 1 of maybe 2 EB Prototype"? There would essentially be no difference to such a pair and the one discussed here.

I think the biggest evidence is that the Company owner has no knowledge of these. Sure prototypes are made, but what are the purposes of them? To show to Senior Management/Company owners for approval.

Latest Posts

Back