• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

EBay buyer wants refund after 58 days

Wow, did he tell you when he shipped it back to you? Because obviously you did not get it back yet. I would contact him and see why he did not want it, or why he's just now telling you he returned it, I would wait to here what he has to say then take it to ebay

I wouldn't contact eBay. The buyer can't even file a claim with eBay at this point. Tell buyer to provide proof he opened a return in eBay (not just that he shipped something). If he didn't (you would have gotten a notice if he had), tell him to F off. 95% chance he's just trying to scam you for money.

Thanks for all your responses guys. They're appreciated. eBay advised me to wait and see if the person supplies a tracking number. If he/she does, we wait a little more until the item has been delivered back to me and is in the same condition. eBay said the mere fact that they initiated a return outside of eBay voids their buyer protection. I really don't know... what if the item gets to me already opened, all beat up, missing some pieces, etc? Anyway, individual responses to your posts since I last logged in are below:

kronin323, yes, I remember that discussion. Has it been a year already? anyway, the listing I created specified no returns are accepted. I don't think that really helps because a buyer can spin stories when creating a dispute. I haven't received the item. The only thing I got was that email from the buyer claiming he/she "shipped" it back and wanted a refund because he/she "bought the wrong item". I honestly don't want to issue a refund because of the unreasonable amount of time that has passed, but if the person really did send it back and is just in transit as he/she initiated the conversation, and if it's in the same condition I sold it, then I might just issue the refund and get this over with. I know it might set precedence and encourage the person's bad behavior but I've been researching on similar issues and ultimately, the seller loses all the time. The buyer has a final say if he/she involves her credit card company and does a chargeback. If that happens, PayPal might take the funds from me anyway and might not even require the person to actually return the item (if he/she hasn't already).

pjd1234, yeah, I know what you mean. Apparently, it took effect last Nov 2014.

ptownphil, I don't think this person will just take "no" for an answer though.

SNAFU, exactly... there was no prior communication at all for 58 days since the payment was received and the item shipped. Then out of the blue, the person says the item has been shipped back and demands a refund. Very suspicious indeed.

Claustin, same response as kronin323's above. I really hope eBay and PayPal see how frivolous this claim is. I mean, 2 months is a long time to want to return something. Unfortunately, PayPal's policy extends that window to 180 days. I think I'm cleared on eBay. It's PayPal I'm more worried about.

Nortika, I asked the person why he/she wanted to return it and is something was wrong. The only answer I got was "nothing wrong, we bought the wrong item" and then no more communication after that after I responded with questions asking when the item was shipped, what the tracking number was for the return, what condition is the item in.

pistolpetefan23, I had to contact eBay just to hear what they have to say about this issue and to let them know I didn't waste time bringing it to their attention as soon as I received the first email from the buyer. I think I'm safe from retaliatory negatives from eBay because the 45-day window has passed. It's PayPal I'm worried about because that takes 180 days. And if the person funds his PayPal account with a credit card, he/she could run to his/her credit card company and have that payment reversed, which in turn would cause PayPal to take the money from my account. I don't know what happens in that case, I might even lose my item if it wasn't actually shipped back yet.

Sorry for the very lengthy reply guys. I just wanted to acknowledge all your responses to my original post and tell you that I really appreciate it.

Hi Borgs,

Just to share I did have my fair share of strange buyers who emailed me out of the blue like 2 months later claiming they received an empty box or wanting a refund.

But when asked to show photos of package or trying to arrange for return shipping, no other communications was sent and the whole episode just died a natural death lol.

So such things do happen!

Wow, I hadn't realized PayPal upped their dispute period from 45 days to 180. That's crazy, and incredibly horrible.

Thats just wrong for the seller... when i get something not as described I email the person and have it in the mail within 24-48 hours with signature confirmation I could see 58 days maybe if someone buys a 33 dvd set and disc 32 ends up being bad with no visible damage but in this case...seems like someone is looking to take advantage. It took 58 days to realize this???Pathetic buyer

Hi Borgs,

Just to share I did have my fair share of strange buyers who emailed me out of the blue like 2 months later claiming they received an empty box or wanting a refund.

But when asked to show photos of package or trying to arrange for return shipping, no other communications was sent and the whole episode just died a natural death lol.

So such things do happen!

Hi schenk, thanks for sharing that story. I hope this thing that's happening to me ends up the same way yours did.

Thats just wrong for the seller... when i get something not as described I email the person and have it in the mail within 24-48 hours with signature confirmation I could see 58 days maybe if someone buys a 33 dvd set and disc 32 ends up being bad with no visible damage but in this case...seems like someone is looking to take advantage. It took 58 days to realize this???Pathetic buyer

I know, right? I mean, I went through great lengths to make the description as accurate as possible, used high-quality photos and threw in extra ones to highlight the defects/imperfections. Claiming he/she bought the "wrong" item seems like a really lame excuse to make a return 58 days later.

I really hope I don't hear anything from that buyer anymore. I contacted eBay again just to get a second opinion, and the person I spoke to also found this situation ridiculous. I can hear him snickering as we were discussing it. Anyway, thanks for the responses, guys. If anything interesting comes up with this situation, I'll update you. Have a great weekend everyone.

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask someone to just give you free money! Maybe the odd person is just disorganized enough to think they did get something back and give a refund.

Back