• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ebay Perspective From The Other Side

GRFMotorsports

is an Oakley whore
Premium Member
Nixa, Mo
I read the posts about upset buyers on here all the time and for the most part I am a seller but I do buy from time to time. The following just happened to me and thought I would share.

First item... bought an Oakley key chain, arrived quickly but damaged. Was sent in a bubble mailer instead of a box and got crushed. I contacted the seller and sent pics. After a couple weeks and a few emails still no resolution. Another week passed and I told the seller I was tired of waiting for a decision on what they were going to do. The seller refunded my $ ($30) and said they would deal with it on their end. I would have rather had the key chain but I guess this is ok. It wasn't packed the way I would have done it so I felt the seller was somewhat responsible. I am happy with the outcome but still want the chain.

Second item... Items were listed as excellent condition with no issues. After a week I ask the seller for an update on shipping, said they would go out this coming weekend. Another week goes buy and I ask again with no response. I wait a couple more days and file a complaint for non delivered good with ebay. Still no response from the seller but a few day later they show up. Before I even opened the box there was a strong odor or Swisher Sweets. I open the package, open up the items... the first one is filthy and reeks of S.S. The second one is even dirtier, paint chips, small pieces broken and stinks as well. Since I still had not heard from the seller I left my feedback and expressed my displeasure. I think it over for a few days..... I decide to file a complaint about received not as described. Within in a few hours I get a full refund from Ebay. Now, this is not what I wanted. I would be happy with an adjustment to the price but ebay decided to refund the full purchase price plus shipping. I dont really agree with this, I know hard to believe after all the problems but now I have the junk and the money. If I were the seller i would be pissed. So.. I think Im going to write the seller again and see what we can work out. I dont believe he should be out everything but he did a horrible job and looking at his feedback its not the first time.

Any thoughts or feedback?

I tend to be a cynic, but I doubt either of those people would hesitate to hose you if they bought from you and got their money back without a return.

I don't really like dealing on eBay. I like buying from reputable dealers and forum members. I've tried several times to buy lenses here and only now do I resort to eBay. I just bought a lens that was described as "great condition, no marks" and they accepted a pretty low offer. The listing pics show the lens on a table that's full of marks and scratches, making it very hard to discern the condition of the lens. If I get it and it's beat to **** and I get my money back without a return I'll likely chalk it up to Karma paying them back for misrepresenting the item. If they don't initiate communication after a bad feedback, several attempts, and a refund, they likely don't care enough to want it back.

Well....I'll say this...be very careful how many "not as described" claims you file. I had two in about 40 days and received a warning email from eBay telling me my account privileges would be suspended if I had anymore for another 60 days and that it was my responsibility to understand item conditon before buying. What pisses me off is that in one case I ultimately kept the item so it was a non issue and in the other the seller was off the deep end. But I'm being warned? Sounds like blaming the victim. Plus what if sellers lie about conditon? If I have messages that say xyz conditon but its not and I end up filing a dispute I get suspension? What?

GRFMotorsports I think this shows you are very honest and honorable person, which is becoming rarer and rarer these days. If you've got your money back I'd message the seller and ask them to cover postage for returning the items to them and if they won't do that, keep them and do with them what you want.

It is ridiculous to me how eBay refunded you within hours of your complaint though. Surely this means they didn't even checked the sellers side of the story. What deters people from making false claims if eBay gives an instant refund and sellers get no protection at all? ucdavis4PT0gpa this may be why they have a limit on filing 'not as described' claims which is just as ridiculous, because they are basically saying you can only lie and cheat a certain amount of times per month. eBay's policies are a joke, we really need a competitor to come in to the market and give them a run for their money because they site has been twisted and warped in to a horrible experience for all.

The problem is that ebay/paypal is so one sided in favor of buyers its gotten ridiculous. Sellers pay all the fees and buyers get all benefits. I try to sell outside ebay as much as possible but it is one place most everything can sell...double edged sword.

I have sold BNIB items, had the buyer file a claim on me claiming the item was used when it arrived. So I say "I stand behind my product, send back for a full refund".

Guess what comes back? Yuuuup, a very used pair of glasses and the sucker got him a Brand New pair...

Ebay says they are working to fix this problem, but guess who got stuck with someones scabie ass used up Livestrong Flacks...

Look at the newest policy updates! You want to talk about absurd. You can no longer be a "power seller" if you don't offer a return with refund period?? Really! WTF are they talking about. I was reading an article/blog published by Auctiva about that, and I agree 100% that is bullsh!t. Their analogy was this "So a seller who sells clothing or accessories sells a prom dress, the girl wears it once to the prom, then returns it for a FULL refund". Now the seller is out the money, has a used worn dress back, and lost fees for shipping and all of ebay's grease. WTF is that crap about? Just so someone who does honest business can get a little tiny break? Screw feebay in the neck! I have no more ebay accounts and am trying to figure out how to get away from paypal in a damn hurry! I absolutely don't want to put a single cent back into their pockets any more. It has become "screw the people and reason we are here" and "bend over backwards" for the one's initiating most of the screw jobs.

I for one have been burned royally on the seller side of things many many times. I was a seller for over 12 years, and it just snowballed out of control.

Here is one of the "updates"

Starting in June, Top-rated sellers will need to have tracking information uploaded to eBay within their stated handling time on 90% or more of their transactions with US buyers. As of June 1, the 20% final value fee discount and greatest average boost in Best Match will go to those listings from Top-rated sellers that include 1-day handling and a minimum 14-day return policy with a money-back refund option. Your listings without these two services will still have the Top-rated seller badge and some boost in Best Match but will not earn the discounts or the highest average boost in Best Match.

Starting in June, Top-rated sellers will need to have tracking information uploaded to eBay within their stated handling time on 90% or more of their transactions with US buyers. As of June 1, the 20% final value fee discount and greatest average boost in Best Match will go to those listings from Top-rated sellers that include 1-day handling and a minimum 14-day return policy with a money-back refund option. Your listings without these two services will still have the Top-rated seller badge and some boost in Best Match but will not earn the discounts or the highest average boost in Best Match.

This is also further proof that eBay is moving away from it original business ethos of consumer-to-consumer sales in to a business to consumer site.

On eBay.co.uk the message says:

Starting in June, eBay.com Top-rated sellers who offer 1-day dispatch time and a minimum 14-day return policy with a money-back option will be rewarded with the greatest search exposure and if based in the US, a 20% final value fee discount.

This basically means that businesses will get greater exposure and pay less for trading on eBay. The CEO of eBay has already said his main goal is for eBay to become like Amazon, i.e. a site for businesses to sell their items, not consumers-to-consumers. Business rules, it's capitalism at its finest folks, and the little guy can get lost.

Just an update here w/o getting into how feebay is sucking more every day..... that's a whole nutha story.

I contacted the seller, amazing how quickly he responded this time, within a few minutes. We came to an agreement, well actually I told him how it was going to be, I am returning one of the cars and will repay half the purchase price minus shipping. Shockingly he agreed..lol as I now have both his stuff and his money. As I said before I am usually a seller on Ebay but this has really opened my eyes as to how I can potentially be screwed over rather easily. My feedback is spotless and I truly believe it is because I am up front and honest about what i sell. The items I have the most problems with hands down with people complaining are clothes and shoes. I sell the stuff brand new and they complain it doesnt fit. Hey, I didnt make it, I did my part, its what I said it was and you got it quick... but still they complain to me like i run the worldwide sizing factory.... anyway.... that's the update.

Honestly I had some stuff listed for the first and last time recently and realize why i prefer dealing with forum members..the people here have been perfect and honest and quick...I got some of the most insane questions on Ebay.(How can I "live with myself" charging 70 dollars for something the guy can buy rfor 9.99 at a mall kiosk may be my favorite) There are select sellers that are excellent on Ebay but many are disappearing from the site lately....

Latest Posts

Back