• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

EBay Stores

I had one admit to me a couple years back when he sold me a new Pit Boss that he sold it to me at 10% over cost...well he sold them to me for $400 so that means dealer cost on a $600 Pit Boss is $340 of 56% of retail which is in line with alot of new product selling for around 62-66% of retail...means the seller is selling at 10-15% over their cost.

This fits with the UK scene as I understand it - except we pay a little bit more on our RRP.
A guy I know (a friend of a friend), who runs his own business as an optician, sells Oakleys in his store at RRP. He said that the cost to him per unit is approx 50% of RRP, so it is effectively a 100% mark-up for the retailer.
I'm clearly in the wrong business!

I think that's pretty standard to most businesses. I think I read somewhere that trainers (sneakers) retail for 200% or more than the actual cost to the dealer, so that's an even more massive mark up.

I don't understand the economics of it myself. Every time there's a sale on people think they are getting deals but all I think is, if they can afford to knock 40% off, why didn't they sell them at that price in the first place? Surely they'd have sold more volume that way and therefore made just as much, if not more profit. All these silly 'models' of selling, no wonder our stock markets and currencies are up the spout.

One seller I have seen is eyeframesman. He sold hundreds possibly 1-2 thousand xmetal mars and mars craters. I watched him sell these for the longest time.

there was a story of some oakley employees or warehouse employees who discovered a few pallets of unshipped Mars w/o boxes... no prize for guessing where it ended up

I think the few guys who have been mentioned who always have tons for sale have to have some connection inside at either HQ or one of the warranty locations. There is no way they can get ahold of that much merchandise and not have an inside connection at Oakley. I have a buddy who lives in Canada and he lives about 30 minutes from the Oakley Warranty store and he would go in there and buy semi damaged/used Oakley lenses, frames, ect. He also said once a year that store would hold a sale for employees and by invite only and he would go in there and rack up on all kinds of things.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in my 2cent's.. Over the past year, Ive come across a few seller's selling oakley PB's on the internet, and come to find out they were former employees, or new someone who worked in one of the oakley warehouses.. whether or not they got them through the back door? Or at employee discount....is probably not a concern for some of us here, because we are getting New Oakley product for basically way less than retail..I've seen a few pair's of PB's for example w/o boxes, just bags, and some of them are a bit off. For example legs don't line up right when full extended, etc.. but oh well..

Seriously, how does one of these just "pop-up"?

I love Leather Mars.

It's exactly the sort of crazy leftfield sh1t that Oakley just doesn't do any more.

And, given the closure of the X-Metal facility, never will.

:sad:

Back