• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Endurance of frames

Just ask nicely for a set of spares of earsocks or two when you buy them and you should be set for for years. My Ti plates are still going strong with the original ones and they are several years old.

Thanks for your posts my friends. :)

I can tell you the tumbleweed will last you 10 times longer then the wingfold, I have sever of the wingfold type glasses and I love them but they bend and break easy
That's sad to hear. When I tried Wingfold EVR they seemed sturdier than your average rimless frame, such as Keel for example which has thinner arms and looks fragile indeed. And if it matters at all, in the case that I'd go for Wingfold I'd also order Trivex lenses which are supposed to be most durable ones.

Just ask nicely for a set of spares of earsocks or two when you buy them and you should be set for for years. My Ti plates are still going strong with the original ones and they are several years old.
Hm, thanks for the idea but I'm not very hopeful that they'll give me a set of spares so easily, granted that they're being sold on ebay for 16$ plus shipping. :confused:

Hm, thanks for the idea but I'm not very hopeful that they'll give me a set of spares so easily, granted that they're being sold on ebay for 16$ plus shipping. :confused:

I always get stuff like that free when I ask nicely ;) Unless it is a deeply discounted item or I'm buying online it is always worth it. The people at the local Oakley dealers are nice and usually add stuff like that if they have it in stock.

I agree with asking for a couple of spare sets. O dealers are usually pretty cool about that kind of thing.

Has anyone of you guys ever had to change the earsocks of a frame due to wear and tear?

I have. Once on my old "Primary" Radar frame, after about 4 years they wore from rubbing my helmet strap. Once the little cut got started it kept getting longer and at the end of the season I ditched them for a fresh set. Took about 7 months from when I noticed they were split until I replaced them, and that was from the cut getting longer, not because of general wear. I wear out nosepieces more frequently, they actually hit my skin and get dirty and sweaty...ear socks only hit my head part of the time, I wear them over my helmet straps rather than under.

Has anyone of you guys ever had to change the earsocks of a frame due to wear and tear?

I've worn out earsocks on my Juliets, Half Jackets and Split jackets (it took several years of use). The more you use it while sweaty and in the sun the faster it wears. These have all been worn when offshore sailing and that involves a lot of salt spray and UV radiation. Skiing in spring involves a lot of UV and sweat as well.

I have on one Juliet and a square Wire 2.0. But I live in southeast Louisiana and it's hot as hell here.

I have jumped out of C-130's and C-17's wearing oakleys. I ride a motorcycle in them. Ive dropped them and much more. Never had an issue with the frames.

I'd avoid driving over them with a wheeled vehicle

I have jumped out of C-130's and C-17's wearing oakleys. I ride a motorcycle in them. Ive dropped them and much more. Never had an issue with the frames.

I'd avoid driving over them with a wheeled vehicle

Thanks for your post Bob. I don't doubt the durability of the frames themselves, I'm just a bit sceptical about the durability of the easocks in the arms and if they'll have to be replaced in the future. :unsure:

Latest Posts

Back