• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Etiquette For Found Deals?

o-freak 85

Oakley Beginner
Warren OH
I was wondering if we need to implement some sort of etiquette on deals that we come across on sites like Craigslist, Kijiji, eBay, etc.? I've come across two deals just recently that I had been working on but got sniped by another member. There is one post on the boards right now pointing whoever looks at it to a deal I've been trying to finalize on. It's one thing to make a purchase for yourself if you can work it out with the seller to ship but if you can't it doesn't seem right to publicize and potentially ruin the sale for someone that's been working it. Sorry if I'm coming off as a little perturbed, I guess I'm just venting. Is there anything in the forum rules that needs to be pointed out or any new rule that needs to be added? How do you guys feel about this practice?

Its a tough call, from your standpoint yes, I would be a little aggravated but on the other hand if someone points out a deal that no one was on and you score it, then what. Its a tough call either way. I think the bottom line is, if you can put a deal together, you need to do it fast.

Won't work bro... I don't think it is being done on purpose but if people are all actively trying to get them, I don't know if anyone is going to back off because someone else says they called it first... On something like the 24k's people want a smoking deal like that and will pursue until they are gone... I have had it happen a few times on R1's and it sucks but it isn't done on purpose or maliciously...

Doesn't work, you can't stop other people from purchasing something just because you want it.

There is a rule on the books that states no posting of Craigslist,ebay etc ads for the exact reasons you said. The moderators and myself try to take down these links best we can but it can be overwhelming. We also try to inform members that this is against the rules. It is a debate that has gone back and forth on this site for sometime. Half feeling how you do half feeling that you should point out good deals. But we want to allow people to still find steals and not create bidding wars, that is why the rule is on the books.

Thanks for the clarification OakleyBoss. As far as other people getting the deals, I've got no issue there. My problem is if, say for example, OakleyBoss was working on a deal on craigslist and I came across the same thing but found out the guy wouldn't ship to me so I came on here and posted it for someone else to buy. Normally that just puts more pressure on the seller to ship because there are so many new offers coming at him and in turn it may end up screwing OakleyBoss out of the buy that he'd been trying for.
Realistically you can't enforce any of this but common courtesy for our fellow enthusiasts should come in to play. And that can be a swinging door too I understand. Saying that you would rather a collector here got it than some joe schmo off the street. It's a sticky situation either way I guess. I just know if I'm looking for deals then I'll find them, other people making it more public than it already is doesn't really help.

I would say if you post a deal it should be related to a general purchase site like 6pm.com, OakleyVault.com, Oakley, sunglass shops etc. Unless you specifically know a member is looking for something PM them and let them know. If you are watching something on Ebay or a similar site, keep it to yourself, it will only hurt you bidding and drive the price up. We eventually will get what we are looking for , just have patience.

Also if any member has an issue or finds a site link that violates the O Fourm rules, send the admin or a monitor a PM with the thread link and will will review it and make corrections if necesssary. We do not inform the original poster of the thread who told us. We monitor the threads as best as possible and if we find a violation will correct it.

Here is a quick link to Admin and Mods,Show Groups - The Oakley Forum and in case you were unaware, if there is a green dot next to their name they may be logged in, but away from the computer. Give them a little time to handle it. Thanks!!!!

Perfect, thanks for the good advice guys! And by the way Malv1, no, he text me back after giving me all the details and said it was sold. Bummer. Something else will come with time.

Boss, do u think we should stop allowing ebay item numbers to be posted also? Lemme know.

Latest Posts

Back