• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Exchange Prices

In my opinion if the commerce/exchange area is causing that much of an issue just nuke it.

I'm not a fan of how it's run, but cracking down on things because some people post some threads with high or low pricing? There are bigger fish to fry. And the gentleman with the lowball asking prices would have fallen off in silence had several people not started junk in the exchange thread, which violates exchange rule 9.

I'm not a fan of how it's run, but cracking down on things because some people post some threads with high or low pricing?

It's not my intent to instigate a crackdown... Rather just air/solicit some ideas on how things might be made better in the exchange... How would you try to improve it?

Yes and no.

I'm a member on a forum whose exchange section has a list of rules so long and comprehensive that it reads like a legal document. And another that strips away so many features for new members it's insulting and turns me away.

I don't want either of those scenarios.

We have a few simple rules in place. Enforcing what we've got without imposing more rules or creating forms or templates would cut down on a LOT of the activity in the exchange areas.

If you look at the second post in the generic Oakley Glasses exchange; It was created last night at 10pm. It was bumped less than 3 hours later. A short exchange, then a bump less than 3 hours after the last post from the OP. Onto page 2 of replies within 24 hours. If the rules were followed there would be 2 or 3 reply posts, not 10.

Not calling out anyone, just pointing out that part of the fast turnaround and aggressive selling is stemming from practices like this. With all the traffic posts drop off fast and the author's only recourse is to bump often.

Yes and no.

I'm a member on a forum whose exchange section has a list of rules so long and comprehensive that it reads like a legal document. And another that strips away so many features for new members it's insulting and turns me away.

I don't want either of those scenarios.

We have a few simple rules in place. Enforcing what we've got without imposing more rules or creating forms or templates would cut down on a LOT of the activity in the exchange areas.

If you look at the second post in the generic Oakley Glasses exchange; It was created last night at 10pm. It was bumped less than 3 hours later. A short exchange, then a bump less than 3 hours after the last post from the OP. Onto page 2 of replies within 24 hours. If the rules were followed there would be 2 or 3 reply posts, not 10.

Not calling out anyone, just pointing out that part of the fast turnaround and aggressive selling is stemming from practices like this. With all the traffic posts drop off fast and the author's only recourse is to bump often.

Yeah I agree that I'm not trying to make it so hard no one can ever trade, but I believe in some structure. The bumps have become hard to regulate. I have been working on a timed system for bumping that would allow the thread creator to bump it ever X hours, just haven't gotten it right yet. But that still won't stop people from commenting "Nice Pair" or "PM Sent", and I really don't think we should. Those posts to me are part of being on a forum. Seeing PM sent gives me an idea of how many people are interested in an item, and allows you to make an offer accordingly.

Yeah I agree that I'm not trying to make it so hard no one can ever trade, but I believe in some structure. The bumps have become hard to regulate. I have been working on a timed system for bumping that would allow the thread creator to bump it ever X hours, just haven't gotten it right yet. But that still won't stop people from commenting "Nice Pair" or "PM Sent", and I really don't think we should. Those posts to me are part of being on a forum. Seeing PM sent gives me an idea of how many people are interested in an item, and allows you to make an offer accordingly.
I agree, absolutely.

What happened to the bump restrictor you had in before? It worked really well, and turned off when another member replied.

I agree, absolutely.

What happened to the bump restrictor you had in before? It worked really well, and turned off when another member replied.

Honestly, I don't know lol. I knew I had one at some point, I'm sure it caused some error. Only reason I could think of for disabling it. Will have to dig it up and see.

Is there a way to make it so that replies from people who aren't the OP don't bump the post? And maybe even replies from the original poster that aren't within 48 hours?

Example:
I post a for sale thread. 40000000 people comment on it, cause it's that awesome. But only MY authorized 48 hour bump bumps it?

Back