• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Exchange section suggestions and discussion

Well we'll see if or what the authorities say, but my take on it is you, I, and others keep considering the exchange as a separate entity from the general discussion forum and thus a different set of rules can and should apply. But those who matter seem to take a broader picture of the forum as a whole, that the same philosophy should apply across the board. I'm not saying if that's right or wrong, merely my observation.

Either way I think pushing for further exchange restrictions is futile, a dead horse. The choice is to either continue to be frustrated or just accept things as they are. Kinda like me with slow-ass bastards in the left lane; I can spend my life being frustrated by them or I can just let it go and worry about other things...

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

To counter that I would ask what value to the community a single trader brings by monopolising the Exchange with multiple threads? If most traders stick to 3-4 threads surely that is the community standard that everyone should be mindful of?

Not directed at you K - but at anyone with or without authority who cares to weigh in.
3-4 would be nice so they don't monopolize a whole first page killing everyone else's bumps

I've posed the argument a few times. My solution was always to have 1 thread per section. List everything together, when the thread gets tired/empty/confusing lock it and start another. So a member would still have a max of 8 threads, a WTS/WTT, a WTB, in each of the exchange sections.

But I enjoy the more heavy-handed approach when it comes to exchange/classifieds/commerce areas on forums.

I have a bad habit of listing a pair then looking through the collection and listing another on a separate thread. In fact, I just did that. I actually like looking through the listings. I agree they should all be on one thread. No excuse for me there.

I have a bad habit of listing a pair then looking through the collection and listing another on a separate thread. In fact, I just did that. I actually like looking through the listings. I agree they should all be on one thread. No excuse for me there.

I used to put all my sales in one thread but I found I got a lot more looks if I listed them separately. Many others have had the same experience. i think one item per thread is fine, but it would be better to have a limit on the number of items.

As i've said before, anyone with 10 or more items is either doing this as more than a hobby or is trying to unload a big part or all of their collection. If the former, they should pay more to run their small business! If the latter, and it's a collection sale, then a single thread does usually work best for that.

Great idea.

The old thread ended up getting locked because of "asshats" but there's no reason it can't be opened back up I believe.

@OakleyBoss ?
Oops, my bad.

Obviously I agree with limiting the number of threads in each for sale section but I think the extra work it would put on the mod for each section will probably prevent it from happening. That could be fixed with what Rustpot said about one thread per section. I've seen a few places do that and it keeps the exchange clean. It would be a lot easier to keep it at one per person per section than to try to keep count of four or five per person per section.

If someone is worried about their stuff not getting noticed because they have 10 frames for sale and can't fit them all in the title, they can use tags. Those come up in searches. Example title: Many O Matter Frames for sale! Tags: Half Jacket, Moon, Fives 2.0, XX Twenty. You get the idea. Gotta go bump my stuff now lol

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

To counter that I would ask what value to the community a single trader brings by monopolising the Exchange with multiple threads? If most traders stick to 3-4 threads surely that is the community standard that everyone should be mindful of?

Not directed at you K - but at anyone with or without authority who cares to weigh in.

There's are two main reasons at play here that initially come to mind, because I know this topic seems to resurface every once in a while - thoughts organized below:

1) What value does it add? As mentioned previously limiting the community, stopping people from posting, or forcing members to pay to post simply limits the community. The ideology has always been that Premium Members are supporting the site, and as such gain additional benefits, but we would not limit the benefits of members. The restrictions to gain access are in place for the protection of members, and also promote community involvement by members who may otherwise simply buy/sell/trade.

2) I can't find that thread - While it may seem simpler to have 1 big thread for each member, it's actually quite the opposite. The easiest way to find an item, and the #1 way people find this site is simply through searching. When I search for a "X-Metal Juliet", I will find the threads titled "For Sale: X-Metal Juliet" - Sure maybe it's selling 1 pair and that member may have 10 others, but it's simple and easy to find. I know what the thread is - it works.

Now fast forward to combining into one thread - I search the same term and find "Saulsaul's Sale Thread", or even worse a title that now cannot be changed. A few issues here - From a new member to the exchange's view, I have no clue who SaulSaul is, why should I click on that thread? I'm looking for a Juliet. Additionally the idea of consistently changing thread titles is just a terrible idea - so many issues here from a technical perspective, search perspective and logistics perspective. Won't dive down that rabbit whole - but it would not work.

just my point of view:

number of members in OF , "a lot"
sellers must understand the exchange section is open to all of them
"selling and buying"
so we talking about thousands of members
plus each page allows only up to 20 - 30 threads if not mistaken
stop complaining if your post got into the second or third page , coming from a thousand members be glad only 20 or 30 members are selling and not all of them
you do not own the forum , expect for only one you know who I'm talking about
MEMBERS LOOK THROUGH PAGES
a clear example is why daily one thread from 2012 - 2014 - 2015 pops out
thats cause someone took the time to look for it and as same as this person many do the same
you wanna sell your stuff just be aware of your 48 hr bump
many sellers after posting keep on going with their lifes and after a few days notice their posts are in the 3rd - 4th page and complain, thats BS
you wanna sell , pay attention to your thread

long story short
ebay has an option of showing 25 up to 200 post sales for each page
maybe that's an option the forum needs

and if you all have the time to complain and whine , well ***** do something about it

Back