• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Exchange section suggestions and discussion

just my point of view:

number of members in OF , "a lot"
sellers must understand the exchange section is open to all of them
"selling and buying"
so we talking about thousands of members
plus each page allows only up to 20 - 30 threads if not mistaken
stop complaining if your post got into the second or third page , coming from a thousand members be glad only 20 or 30 members are selling and not all of them
you do not own the forum , expect for only one you know who I'm talking about
MEMBERS LOOK THROUGH PAGES
a clear example is why daily one thread from 2012 - 2014 - 2015 pops out
thats cause someone took the time to look for it and as same as this person many do the same
you wanna sell your stuff just be aware of your 48 hr bump
many sellers after posting keep on going with their lifes and after a few days notice their posts are in the 3rd - 4th page and complain, thats BS
you wanna sell , pay attention to your thread

long story short
ebay has an option of showing 25 up to 200 post sales for each page
maybe that's an option the forum needs

and if you all have the time to complain and whine , well ***** do something about it

Some good points. Yes, you need to remember to bump - most heavy sellers do. And yes a page view with more items might be a good idea. Someone mentioned some technical issues around that - maybe @kronin323

Finally for the popcorn eaters. If your last bit is aimed at me, what you describe as 'complaining and whining' is from my perspective encouraging discussion with constructive feedback in order to improve the Exchange for all. There was a 30+ page discussion thread dedicated to this so many members clearly do care. That was closed and I had something to ask so created this.

I don't have a strong opinion and am simply eager to hear what others think, especially given success of the recent 48 hour restriction.

Your reply must have taken a while to write too ;-)

Last edited:
There's are two main reasons at play here that initially come to mind, because I know this topic seems to resurface every once in a while - thoughts organized below:

1) What value does it add? As mentioned previously limiting the community, stopping people from posting, or forcing members to pay to post simply limits the community. The ideology has always been that Premium Members are supporting the site, and as such gain additional benefits, but we would not limit the benefits of members. The restrictions to gain access are in place for the protection of members, and also promote community involvement by members who may otherwise simply buy/sell/trade.

2) I can't find that thread - While it may seem simpler to have 1 big thread for each member, it's actually quite the opposite. The easiest way to find an item, and the #1 way people find this site is simply through searching. When I search for a "X-Metal Juliet", I will find the threads titled "For Sale: X-Metal Juliet" - Sure maybe it's selling 1 pair and that member may have 10 others, but it's simple and easy to find. I know what the thread is - it works.

Now fast forward to combining into one thread - I search the same term and find "Saulsaul's Sale Thread", or even worse a title that now cannot be changed. A few issues here - From a new member to the exchange's view, I have no clue who SaulSaul is, why should I click on that thread? I'm looking for a Juliet. Additionally the idea of consistently changing thread titles is just a terrible idea - so many issues here from a technical perspective, search perspective and logistics perspective. Won't dive down that rabbit whole - but it would not work.

Thanks for replying.

1) is useful and in line with what Kronin said

2) just to note this shouldn't be directed at me as I ended single multi sale threads at your advice many months ago. A different poster above came in with some perceived advantages of them but I find as you advised me that single threads per item get more attention.

I do put all lenses in a single thread. I'd be happy to split them out and create 15 threads, then watch the sparks fly :)

So far several Exchange sellers here have started their posts with something along the lines of

'Of course I support limiting the number of sale threads....'

I think most are either in favor of it or don't care enough about it to have an opinion.

Here's an alternative to policing a 5 threads max rule.

Mods, just send polite warnings to selfish traders that proliferate numerous exchange threads and then bump them interminably.

Less work for you and probably the same result for us.

So far several Exchange sellers here have started their posts with something along the lines of

'Of course I support limiting the number of sale threads....'

I think most are either in favor of it or don't care enough about it to have an opinion.

Here's an alternative to policing a 5 threads max rule.

Mods, just send polite warnings to selfish traders that proliferate numerous exchange threads and then bump them interminably.

Less work for you and probably the same result for us.
Maybe I mis-read @OakleyBoss reply but what I got was he's not really interested in limiting each individual to a set number of sale threads.

Maybe I mis-read @OakleyBoss reply but what I got was he's not really interested in limiting each individual to a set number of sale threads.

I got that too... kind of.

I'm assuming he's interested in listening to the views of loyal OF users. If not and his last comment was the last word on this issue, I'll let it drop.

Look, I'm not inciting rebellion here. I think any healthy online community encourages debate about what works and what doesn't. Some may say, well this has been debated at length but actually it hasn't. The last thread was focused 90% on bumping, and nothing else. Also, frustratingly, very few mods or the owner himself participate that much. It just ends up being a showcase for a range of views by members who care, then nothing changes.

Also, my last suggestion isn't about imposing a limit to trade threads, but having the mods just deal with the handful of rude users who post multiple threads and bump them interminably.

Back