• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Eyeshades & Riding a Bike

I'd probably switch to something else for the run. 26.2 miles with sunglasses slipping or bouncing around wouldn't be very fun.

The best thing for a Tri is obviously something from the Radar range, but I would love to see pics of someone on the run leg with their Eyeshades on!

I wouldn't recommend the Jawbone's/Racing Jackets, I've said it before and I'll say it again, personally I think THE WORST pair of Oakley sport range ever released.

Why is that?

First of all, they look terrible, horrifically ugly and probably the most un-cool thing you can wear as a cyclist. Also, they look cheap, feel cheap IMO. Lots of hinge points that can and do break from time to time.

Coverage is poor on a lot of faces, unlike the Radar which tends to be OK for the vast majority. I've also had them fog not only whilst stopped in traffic (standard on all cycling glasses) but when riding with no real wind about, never had this with Radars.

Peripheral vision isn't great, especially when quickly looking behind or over your shoulder (important for cyclists).

I remember when I first saw the plans for the 'Jawbone' and felt really disappointed this was the road we were going down.

Feel free to ignore me though, I'm not very impartial, I just hate the damn things (FWIW, ironically I have two pairs!).

First of all, they look terrible, horrifically ugly and probably the most un-cool thing you can wear as a cyclist. Also, they look cheap, feel cheap IMO. Lots of hinge points that can and do break from time to time.

Coverage is poor on a lot of faces, unlike the Radar which tends to be OK for the vast majority. I've also had them fog not only whilst stopped in traffic (standard on all cycling glasses) but when riding with no real wind about, never had this with Radars.

Peripheral vision isn't great, especially when quickly looking behind or over your shoulder (important for cyclists).

I remember when I first saw the plans for the 'Jawbone' and felt really disappointed this was the road we were going down.

Feel free to ignore me though, I'm not very impartial, I just hate the damn things (FWIW, ironically I have two pairs!).
I enjoy your insider, informed and un-impartial opinions! :D

I've done 7 Iron-distance tris. I've worn a variety of Oakleys for all of them, including. Jawbones, Split Jackets, Radars, Half Jacket 2.0s. They all worked well. I'm just trying to have some fun with my races next year because most people doing the Iron-distance take it way too serious. I figured a pair of Eyeshades would make people take a second look and wonder what I was wearing. Plus just about everyone out there is in a pair of Radars or Jawbones, along with some other brands like Rudy Project.

I do a 180km bike ride for Multiple Sclerosis every year and it's really a fun ride I want to rock a pair of Eyeshades for the ride this year also as I think it would cause people to really take a second look as well.
I think you should go for it!

Back