• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fake Badman & Madman Photos *Buyer Beware

Well m glad you trust them
I know nothing about them
Selling without the tube is suspicious
Just my opinion and my 2 cents
Under normal circumstances I'd say its suspicious, but those two sellers in particular are notorious for selling sample pairs. How they get their hands on them is anyone's guess but they are genuine.

Well m glad you trust them
I know nothing about them
Selling without the tube is suspicious
Just my opinion and my 2 cents
You are wise to do so, everyone including members here are very susceptible to be fooled when it came to the new x-metals. Given time, we will be able to identify it. Until then, here are some signs of the fake while I'm observing some pics i saw the other day:

- some will be offered in wrong colorway, or non standard colorway
- the frame front surface gap to lens front surface
- the most common frame color for the metal part is the plasma, the one showing what seems to the fake dark carbon is lightly colored.

Again this are based only on pic i saw.

Oakley is making stuff out of cheap materials... it's a matter of time someone would easily fake their products with great detail and make it hard for us to differentiate (especially from online).

I feel sorry for the neXt-metal collectors out there...

Oakley is making stuff out of cheap materials... it's a matter of time someone would easily fake their products with great detail and make it hard for us to differentiate (especially from online).

I feel sorry for the neXt-metal collectors out there...

May I ask what cheap material is being used in new X-Metal line? Inspecting my Badman, I am sure it is not cheap (overpriced? sure, but cheap? I don't think so).

I can also attest that the best fake out there (i.e. great detail) are still the X Squared and that root beer Pitboss II, that is if we do not consider those plastic frame and Rx frame Oakley fake out there. You should see the plasma XS, except for those orbital screw at the back, all signs that it is fake are very subliminal. If someone is wearing them you have no way to tell by just looking.

Both plastic and aluminum have very low cost barriers for someone to create replicas with. They're easy to source and doesn't cost much to fabricate. Even McGyver can make you a pair in his shack with tools readily available at home. Moulding plastic? Use an oven. Shaping aluminum? Use hand tools.

Old x metals are Ti alloys, and all the fakes I've seen don't even come close in terms of materials used. Sure, some of the casts were crap (eg. R1 and Juliets) and some were excellent (eg. XS like you mentioned) but at the end of the day you'd know a fake as soon as you pick it up because it's made of significantly different materials. Sure, someone can try to fake x-metals with Ti alloy, but the cost and effort involved is prohibitive. Hell if the process was cheap, Lux wouldn't have shut down the plant in the first place now, would they?

All I am trying to point out is that Oakley is not using cheap materials, if you say "easily sourced materials to be replicated" I would have agreed.
Anyway Oakley is still using plastic as frame, but not cheap plastic, though still easy to source for replication process.
Also as I understand, the best part of Oakley is still the superior lens quality, so nobody would really know the fake unless you look into those lens.

Fakers are gonna fake whatever they want to fake and the truth is most people patronize them.

I got a chance to see the lower quality batch of these copies earlier. The likeness is amazing but there are tell tale signs that they are indeed copies. I am not sure about the previous versions before this one but I noticed the Icons on the ear stems are no longer embossed nor is it a separate piece. It looks like it was just filled in with a rubber like paint/ material. You won't really notice it unless you take a really close look. Another sign would be the funky lens combinations like 24K, Jade and Ruby on Plasma colored frames.

fake.jpg

Back