1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. rustypixel

rustypixel Oakley Beginner

I don't know if this even matters cause it's mainly a decorative piece, but I'm sure that there are some out there that like to keep things 100% authentic when it comes to all parts of their Oakleys. So my questions are; is there a way to verify the authenticity of icons found on ebay? And are there such things as fake icons?

Thanks.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

I've never heard of any

3. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

The icons are just little metal pieces with stickers on them. If they fit and don't fade/chip/flake etc then there's probably no real way to tell.

4. rustypixel

I kind of figured that it would be hard if not impossible to tell if icons were fake or not. Another question that comes to mind (since I'm bored and have nothing better do to), where would sellers on ebay get these icons? For example, Oakly doesn't seem to sell icons for glasses like the Fuel Cell but there are plenty available on ebay.

Thanks again.

5. FearGearGarage

FearGearGarage Oakley Collector

I have been wondering about one specific seller (ucla9090) on the Icons.... They seem to have an over abundance of them and there have been a few colors I have not seen available...
    Like mentioned they are just small accessory pieces, but I still wonder and have not purchased from them because of my suspicions.

6. rustypixel

Thats exactly what's keeping me from making a purchase. I know the seller you're referring to and know that it's only $15 (about) but I'd still like to hear from any one that has purchased these and what the quality is. Especially since you can't return them.

7. joeajohn313369

joeajohn313369 Oakley Beginner

Never seen any

8. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Buy them like you would aftermarket lenses. They may not be genuine, but you're getting them to complete a certain look.

In fact, I'd be much less hesitant to buy those icons than a set of lenses from some other company. You're not really compromising the pair, and you can always go back to the stock icons if the eBay set doesn't end up working out with little issue.

I'd have to really be after completing a certain look/style to spend money on icons though.

9. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

yeah i agree. i notice icons on fake pairs (eg radar etc) dont quite have the right fit/shape.. so be wary of tht

10. BAPD77

BAPD77 Oakley Expert Premium Member

I have purchased oil rig icons and fuel cell icons from ucla9090. The fuel cell are hard to tell, the oil rig II icons are 100% authentic. I believe the fuel cell icons are real too, but have no way of 100% authentication.