• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fake Lenses?

SV_Dude

Oakley Beginner
I recently bought some new lenses from a guy on ebay. The seller has good feedback and the pics showed the "polarized" etching on the lens. I installed them today and now I'm second guessing if they're real lenses. The fitment isn't the greatest. The outside of the lenses have a little bit of movement in the frames when the original lenses didn't have any movement. Also, the etching on the new lenses are on the outside of the lens and the etching on my old lenses are on the inside of the lens. I haven't been able to find anything to say whether Oakley etched the inside, outside or both on their polarized lens. So, how do I tell for sure whether these lenses are real?

Take a good picture of the polarized etching on the lens. Not all x metal lenses fit absolutely perfect some will be a little loose and some of them will be extremely tight to wear the orbital will not close down

The etching looks legit when compared to my older lens. It's just on the outside instead of the inside and then the fitment in the second photo concerns me as well. I have read a couple articles that mention there being some fitment issues with different frames being the factor, not the lens.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

the etching on the new lenses are on the outside of the lens and the etching on my old lenses are on the inside of the lens
In general - older polars were etched on the inside and newer on the outside = no worries there

then the fitment in the second photo concerns me as well.
The looseness is generally in the cut/shape and not the curvature, as your picture seems to show the latter. This will range from the lenses being too big and not being able to close the orbitals completely to... being too small where you can see cracks and/or light in certain parts... to perhaps being able to move the lenses a bit [by gently holding them with a cleaning cloth and moving them]... or in some cases hearing the lenses shift and move around when you shake the glasses.

I also want to say the etching looks a little to the center of the lens. Even if it is more 'centered' than most that is not a sure indicator of authenticity.

I do think the color of the lenses in the Sellers eBay listing picture looks a bit off, but the picture you provided looks more like polar Ice =]

Unfortunately I cannot say for sure if I would accept these lenses or not.

How do they compare to your older lenses visually? Do they look pretty much the same?
Physically do they have a similar edge and thickness?

Also... How is the polarization? I ask as many cheaper lenses just do not do that good of a job... You should see a healthy blackout with the usual rainbows ;)

Last edited:
If this is a post from a guy in canada, then its mostly likely a custom OEM cut. Meaning its Oakley lenses but not from juliets. He mainly uses split jacket lenses that he cuts to fit juliets. My clear/black transitions were cut from a split jacket fits pretty well, does the job and evey1 thinks its a juliet lens. His most famous post(the one evey1 should know if they shop ebay everyday) is the carbon juliet with custom emerald or +red lenses for around $550 US.

If this is a post from a guy in canada, then its mostly likely a custom OEM cut. Meaning its Oakley lenses but not from juliets. He mainly uses split jacket lenses that he cuts to fit juliets. My clear/black transitions were cut from a split jacket fits pretty well, does the job and evey1 thinks its a juliet lens. His most famous post(the one evey1 should know if they shop ebay everyday) is the carbon juliet with custom emerald or +red lenses for around $550 US.
I meant carbon juliets with g26 and "very ruby" or purple in which is +red.

Latest Posts

Back