• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fake R1

jdd32

X Metal Workshop
Sydney
My cousin found a good deal on the bay and thought he scored a bargain R1. Turns out it's a fake big time. But I must say these are quite real looking from a distance...

DSC_3944.jpg

DSC_3946.jpg

DSC_3955.jpg

DSC_3956.jpg

DSC_3961.jpg

It's covered by ebay and a truckload of headaches he had to now deal with. I told him to ask me before buying. :headbang:

I'm surprised by how good the replicas are nowadays compared to a few years back. Guess it's been a while since I've held one in my hands but I recall the older ones being more like a $5 gas station pair.

It is a shame that people try and pass off replicas as authentic pairs. Luckily he will get his money back.

Yeh and amongst other features. Sadly not every one knows (eg. despite warning my cousin numerous times :punish:)

Damn. I hadn't seen a fake R1 to this point, but it looks pretty obvious. Does it have a fake serial number too?

Damn. I hadn't seen a fake R1 to this point, but it looks pretty obvious. Does it have a fake serial number too?

It has no serial number but it has a logo like an upside down x-metal logo at the back of the nose bridge.
Also noticeable difference are the ff:
- earstem is bent with curve ends
-not matching colorway
-polarized etched on lens-
-nose bomb shape is not round
-an allen hex screw instead of torx
-and some subjective signs like it might feel heavier, and definitely feel like felt when touched.

It is a fact that x-metal has good looking fakes out there, but it is very fortunate that there are obvious signs to know it is fake, that I am most thankful of.

bummer man! it's scary how close the fakes can get though! without a legit comparison pair, it gets even hard to spot the fakes...

Back