• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fake spiked bobs?

jdd32

X Metal Workshop
Sydney
Not sure if this is the right section for this; if not then could the mods please move it.

I've done a search and couldn't find any discussion around fake/replica spiked bobs floating around on the market - do they exist? I saw the other thread about replica shadow bobs in mass but I'm hoping the relative complexity of the hollow cavity of a spiked bob makes it slightly harder for fakes?

I've never seen these in real life so I don't even know what to expect if I was to buy one. I've seen some painted ones and silver ones - are they just acrylic shells? I presume the clear ones are acrylic and not glass? Any owners can chime in?

I've not heard of fake spikes but it's certainly possible, not to hard to make a mold and duplicate. Yes, there's a number of them out there that have been painted. They look pretty cool, too.

I think the originals are made from plaster of paris and the copies are a mix of resin and fiber glass.
You are thinking about the shadow Bob, the OEM Spike Bobs are clear acrylic with a spike tail.
Fakes are usually painted and do not some with a base from my experience. I don't know however if the bottom of the fake spike bobs have the slot for the base stem.
I would bet that both of these are fake, look at the base in the second one how the horizontal support starts so far back on the Bob. On an original the base stem is fairly centered on the Bob's top surface:
Costume Made Oakley Bob Head Super RARE | eBay
Oakley Bob Head Alien Display not Sold in Stores RARE | eBay
Here's a great reference in the Misc Exchange:
For Sale - Spike Bob head with orginal box | Oakley Forum

Did they come in clear only? Or were there different colours (Eg black? Silver?) that had the hue?
My .02 is clear only. Never seen an OEM one that wasn't clear acrylic.

Latest Posts

Back