• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Favorite Juliet lens to look through

Oakleyfan09

Oakley Beginner
Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite lens to look through for the Juliet? I'm looking at buying tungsten, ruby, or ice and just wanted some opinions on the subject. I have not looked through any of those lenses on any Oakley model.

Tungsten is a bronze tint when looking through - very similar to VR28 in terms of hue but not as deep in the bronze color. This is my favorite out of the 3

Ice is grey based and more neutral so it's more grey when you look through. Very similar to Black Iridium. Very ordinary to look through but cool to be looked at, unlike Black.

Ruby is grey based so when you look through it's more of a grey/bluish hue. I personally hate this lens as it's only useful on full-sun cloudless days... otherwise it makes things a bit dreary.

Of the options you listed, I would say, Ruby. It is kind of a neutral lens though. Tungsten if you want more of a contrast. In general, I like VR28 BIP, OO BIP, and OO Red iridium polar. Non of which are standard Juliet lenses except the VR28 BIP. In standard colors I like the 24K, Gold iridium, and Ruby Red iridium.

looking THROUGH, I'd say ice. Its neutral, ordinary tint. I have ruby too but sometimes it makes it hard to distinguish the green traffic lights when driving, makeing it dangerous. Oakley even included a warning for the ruby lens for this. I never personally looked through tungsten....

But for me, ICE ice baby

Oakley even included a warning for the ruby lens for this

Wow... was it a sticker on the packaging like cigarette packets with the label along the lines of "WARNING: Use of these lens may cause temporary red/green color blind!" :tongue:

Wow... was it a sticker on the packaging like cigarette packets with the label along the lines of "WARNING: Use of these lens may cause temporary red/green color blind!" :tongue:
Its actually on the website and in the info packet that comes with lenses and frames. It also includes stuff like G30 and says specifically not to use them while driving because the light filters that give you the contrast also limit your ability to see traffic and brake lights.

wow didn't realise that... guess I'm a bloke who never RTFM the papers in the packaging :)

On a more serious note though, I found Ruby Polar extremely bad for driving on overcast days... almost clipped a bike rider whilst I was turning out of the driveway as he wasn't wearing hi-vis gear and riding in the shady part of the road on an overcast day.

wow didn't realise that... guess I'm a bloke who never RTFM the papers in the packaging :)

On a more serious note though, I found Ruby Polar extremely bad for driving on overcast days... almost clipped a bike rider whilst I was turning out of the driveway as he wasn't wearing hi-vis gear and riding in the shady part of the road on an overcast day.
Ruby is included in the list not suited for driving. If I remember correctly Europe and Australia have some sort of law that Oakley quotes in the warranty paperwork with a list of tints you can't drive with.

I prefer Ice to look through on sunny days; neutral with a slight warm tint. I prefer VR28 BIP over Tungsten IP, but both are better than ice when there are some clouds or snow and are probably the best general purpose lenses for me.

Latest Posts

Back