• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fernando Alonso - Hurry Up With Your Special Edition Please

Herbsley

Steadily Retiring
Durham, UK
Anyone 'in the know' have any news on whether Oakley will be furnishing us with an Alonso Special Edition frame any time soon? Y'know, now he is 'in the Oakley family' and all.

From what I have seen him wear in the press and on TV, he seems to lean towards the Fuel Cell and the Frogskin more than other frames. (Although I have seen him wear other stuff too, like Jawbone and Ten for example).

I would therefore probably gamble on an Alonso Special Edition being either a Fuel Cell or Frogskin (or both). He's signed up to Ferrari F1 for the next umpteen years, so there'll be some red in the mix on the colourway I suspect, being careful not to clash with the Ducati colourways.

It's gunna be interesting - and there's loads of possibilities with the Fuel Cell. Red text? Spanish flag icons? Or something printed on the earstems?

So - anyone got any news on this?

As big of a F1 fan I am, I'll probably never buy this which sucks balls. I can't stand him as a driver. He got luck as the '05 Champ, '06 yes that was his WDC. I'm a Raikkonen fan. It'd be interesting to see if they do this in 2012, especially if he can win a title which is going on season 3 now. I saw a picture of him wearing a matte white / violet iridium Holbrook, a spanish flag fuel cell, white chrome ten, frogskin.

On a sort of related note, I know Robert Kubica is always rocking his matte black oil rig.

I never really had much time for Alonso until this last couple of seasons when, like him or not, his driving has been superb.
Watch his starts in particular. Awesome.

I think you could say a lot of drivers have won championships cos they are in the right car at the right time. But that's F1.
Vettel has the best car and he is on top. But he's a great driver too and it's usually the whole package that's the key. Only truly exceptional drivers wrestle a dog of a car to a championship win.

I wonder what Vettel could have accomplished with a team such as Mercedes GP this past season. Your right though only truly talented drivers can drive a awful car and look good. I've read critics say Schumi lost that ability on his return. 2011 was supposed to be the season he would kick butt having the Mercedes GP car catered to his specifications, and look what that got him. I keep hearing 2012 is going to be the season that Mercedes GP comes back with a competitive car...I've read all sorts of issues, that it's the tires, that it's the wheelbase being to long due to larger fuel tanks, etc...

I hear Robert Kubica will be replacing Massa in 2013 when his contract runs out... The new turbo era is going to be awesome...i'm excited.

Schumacher was a great driver yes, but he would never have won at least 2 of his WCs without dirty driving and deliberately crashing in to other drivers. He also never did it in a dog of a car. In fact, I can't think of a driver who has won an F1 WC in the last 20 years who did so in the car that wasn't the class of the field. Maybe Hamilton in '08?

As for Alonso, I'm sorry but he's too dirty for me. He was involved in spygate at McLaren, Singaporegate at Renault, and team-order-gate at Ferrari. To be involved in one is bad luck, two is coincidence, but three is the start of a very bad pattern.

The only current drivers I have respect for are Vettel, Webber, Button, Rosberg, Kobayashi, and Di Resta. I was amazed Renault dropped Heidfeld, even though he drove in only half the races of Petrov, he still nearly out scored him!

Schumacher was a great driver yes, but he would never have won at least 2 of his WCs without dirty driving and deliberately crashing in to other drivers. He also never did it in a dog of a car. In fact, I can't think of a driver who has won an F1 WC in the last 20 years who did so in the car that wasn't the class of the field. Maybe Hamilton in '08?

As for Alonso, I'm sorry but he's too dirty for me. He was involved in spygate at McLaren, Singaporegate at Renault, and team-order-gate at Ferrari. To be involved in one is bad luck, two is coincidence, but three is the start of a very bad pattern.

The only current drivers I have respect for are Vettel, Webber, Button, Rosberg, Kobayashi, and Di Resta. I was amazed Renault dropped Heidfeld, even though he drove in only half the races of Petrov, he still nearly out scored him!
Great points jk-27.
Same with Nigel Mansell in 1992, almost anyone could have won that title with the freakish car Williams had in '92 and '93. I laughed when Schumi tried the 'damon hill punt of Adelaide on Villenuve' in '1997 only to see Jacques drive on to win.
Hamilton is great, has speed, agressiveness, maybe to much? he tries to hard and crashes himself out of titles that he had in his hand.

Ha, funny when you see rumours of Hamilton wanting out of McLaren and maybe perhaps going to Ferrari and oh? whose this? it's your best friend Alonso! remind you of Senna and Prost much?

Button probably the smoothest F1 driver past and present. Kobayashi super talented and in dire need of a decent competitive car/team to show what he really has inside. I was dissapointed when I found out Webber decided to extend his contract with Red Bull...I was hoping it'd be Raikkonen replacing him, or someone else.
Nico is a damn good driver by out driving Schumi in the 2 seasons so far, in one of the worst cars on the grid. That takes talent, challenged for podiums in several races, could have done so much better in a better car.
Im very very excited about Williams reuniting with Renault! and maybe, maybe McLaren reuniting with Honda for the turbo era. :) Nostalgia rearing it's head.

hope you don't mind all this Herbs!

Why would I mind?

For the record, I cheer on Hamilton and Button, but I am not so blinkered that I cannot still admire the skills of other drivers. There are many great drivers out there and everyone has their favourites - both rightly (Senna) and wrongly (Heidfeld).

Anywayyyy, my original point was actually about an Alonso sunglass, not his driving or F1 politics in general.
I assume from the responses that no-one has news.

I assume from the responses that no-one has news.
:laugh: ohhhh right, Alonso's limited edition...along with Robbie Williams mystery artist edition will suddenly haunt herb's tonight.
Shame what's happened to Bruno Senna...All the fame of the Senna name without delivering the goods. Thought he had a safe seat with Renault that proved otherwise. I really would hate to see him become a Ralf Schumacher, famous name and nothing to show for it. I do hope he gets a ride very soon...I've read he's considering NASCAR...I would die if that happened...
He's got one hell of a pair of shoes to fill but wouldn't it be great to see a SENNA win in Brazil again?

Im a big fan of hearing Martin Brundle's commentary and endless knowledge of F1, no one can describe an on board F1 lap like that man can.

Back