1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Mikey

Mikey Oakley Enthusiast

Check this out...my latest pickup of a polished Juliet with FIP lenses arrived today. I don't think I've ever owned FIP lenses but these strike me as odd. The etching is not visible on the outside, however it is visible on the inside.

Fire Iridium Polarized Etching - image.jpg
    If I put a light behind the lens the etching is visible. Anybody else have this issue? They're definitely polarized lenses but on every other tint it's normally visible.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

Some are etched on the inside. It's just luck of the draw

3. Mikey

Mikey Oakley Enthusiast

Thanks. I was immediately struck with the thought of fake lenses. This is the first polarized lens that I've come across like this. It seems like a total QA screwup at the factory though...

4. freakface

freakface Oakley Collector

wondering myself why that is...i also have my etching on the inside. but one i sold before was on the outside. does it have something to do with the generations?

5. mopiko

mopiko Oakley Enthusiast

i have one fire pair with same polarized etching on the inside

6. Mikey

Mikey Oakley Enthusiast

Thanks for confirming. Still seems like quality control sleeping on the job!:lazy:

7. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

Not a QC issue, it wouldn't work unless intended. Probably more to do with fire's iridium being a bit more brittle/delicate and not wanting to cause flaking.

8. freakface

freakface Oakley Collector

really? never thought there were differences among the iridiums. you learn something new every day...

9. Mikey

Mikey Oakley Enthusiast

And now I've seen examples of both inside and outside etching on FIP so it is inconsistent at best. This was just a first for me...

10. InfiniteHero

InfiniteHero Entrepreneur Premium Member

The one for sale of mine is exactly like this one. My thought was the same, but it came in a three piece box. I have a two piece box from an earlier generation FIP, and the etch is on the outside. and also seems weird. The etch is not flaking, but appears so, or blurred or something. It is real, just from an earlier generation. Here is the pic. Sorry its so dirty with fingerprints. Fire Iridium Polarized Etching - IMG_1672.jpg