1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

I had a wild idea when I got home today. Since tropical storm Isaac is keeping people inside their homes due to flooding I was bored when I got home. I figured what if I took a pair of black gradient lenses and cut them to fit a frame, no big loss if it didn't work out as the lenses are to light for me. I knew the curve matched perfect, so why not. 30 minutes later I had my first chop. But not my last........ First Time Lens Chop 2.0.. Still Chopping Away!!! - 41087083-ed5a-0d67.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Oakley_Sight

Oakley_Sight Gotta love a good DOG

I like those

3. JOBEN

JOBEN Oakley Collector

Nice job those look pretty good

4. nalong86

nalong86 Oakley Beginner

looks like a great fit. I have been thinking of trying to cut a set for a while now. Was it pretty easy to do?

5. xmetalmaniac

Yea it was. I figured I would give it a try since the lenses were a pair I really didn't need. I had everything I needed to get it done. I also got the slight inward bevel too. The edges were wet sanded and lightly polished, and they snapped into place perfectly. The biggest thing I found was make sure when you trace out the original lens onto the new lens you will have to use a fine point permanent marker and make sure you keep the pen straight when you do the trace. Everybody has a slightly different way of doing it. Just make sure the new lens has the same base curve as the original....

6. marc2040

marc2040 Guest

7. xmetalmaniac

8. nalong86

nalong86 Oakley Beginner

thanks for the info. I have a positive red lens that was cut to fit into a x metal xx that I want to cut down for a juliet. I may try later this week.

9. marc2040

marc2040 Guest

Phhhh, never ..... exchange of ideas!
    Do you have a Dremel?

10. nalong86

nalong86 Oakley Beginner

Im not sure if your asking me or xmetalmaniac but if you are asking me, yes I do.