• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First time X-Metal help

I have a medium face and prefer the Juliet to the XX. On my brother who has a bigger face the XX fit better.

Lots of lens options (OEM) for the Juliet still, very few for the XX...

@Wicked I wear a little bit of everything honestly. All different styles and models. I would probably want to wear them...not much but occasionally. I like collecting though to and don't go for plain Jane models. Most of my stuff is either sought after or limited/special/themed.

@kronin323 at least one of each sounds good to me man I'm sure I'll get there if the Metals pull me in like the rest.

@iamFLIP i actually don't like the Badman, but I've only tried them on a few times. I like the way they look but wasn't crazy enough about them to buy a pair. Although I have thought about looking at them again. My Madman just sits in the case. I like the off the wall look it has, but has no function other than that.

And at least starting with the Juliet I have 1 frame down (at a more reasonable price) then just keep telling myself I don't like them until I have all 8 haha

EDIT STUPID QUESTION: Does XX and X2 both refer to X Squared

Last edited:
EDIT STUPID QUESTION: Does XX and X2 both refer to X Squared

XX is not the X-Squared; it's a frame similar to Juliet only with hammerstems and slightly taller orbitals. Some consider them to be Juliets for bigger heads.

X-Squared is typically abbreviated as XS.

X2, never heard of that reference. R2 would be Romeo 2.0, a half-frame x-metal. It is far superior to the other x-metal half-frame, the Half X.

So, you have:
Romeo aka R1
Mars
Juliet
Penny
XX aka XX (haha)
Romeo 2.0 aka R2
Half X aka HX
X Squared aka XS

If it's your first x-metal and you're not sure about sizing, then it's safest to start with a Juliet - they're affordable and could be easily resold without being too much out of pocket. They're similarly sized and shaped like a Flak jacket. If a Flak looks a bit small on your face, then you should try something bigger like an XX (which gives more vertical coverage), XS, or R1. If Juliets are too big then you're left with Penny, Mars, or Half X.

Keep in mind: buying an xmetal may have additional hidden costs of requiring new lenses, new rubbers and/or requiring retune (except for R1 and half x) - a total that can easily add over $100 to the cost before you can put them on your nose.

Cool thanks guys waiting for more input but think I'll go with a Juliet first
one more thing to consider, some colorways of the same frames appear different on your face. i tried the xm/ruby j's and didn't like how they looked on me. but the carbon/bip looked a lot better for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back