1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Rezechs

Rezechs Oakley Enthusiast

Emerald Irid. Polished Black with Gunmetal Splices... saw these about an hr away locally on craigslist and had to take the drive up to get them... they are in amazing condition just alot of dust and nasty buildup from the previous owner sadly i dont have a T5 bit to open them up and give them a good cleaning which brings me to my question...
    Is their anything special i should know before i start unscrewing the 4 T5 screws? do they strip easily?
    Fist Pair Of Splices W/teardown - photobucket-12357-1350173157292.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

nope, they are pretty good with not stripping BUT it can have locked up from rust. spray some wd40 in there (dont leave it on too long, wipe straight away so the FMJ doesnt suffer) then unscrew. also note the FMJ could have stuck itself to the polished black side inside the frame where the 2 halves meet, so again, open slowly to prevent FMJ cracking. otherwise, you have an awesome pair once cleaned up =)

Dont forget to wash off all the WD40 and other gunk in there with soap well.. =)

3. Rezechs

Rezechs Oakley Enthusiast

Was 2 impatient went to home depot and bought a Torx Set took pics of the teardown also looks 100x better now... not sure if i should leave out the nosebombs tho as they fit rather well w/o them and dont leave any pressure marks still...also am supprised by the metal studs in the frame i assumed the screws would just screw into the plastic frame another A+ for oakley quality.
    Fist Pair Of Splices W/teardown - photobucket-8788-1350177750299.jpg
    After
    Fist Pair Of Splices W/teardown - photobucket-4872-1350177661099.jpg

4. marc2040

marc2040 Guest

Your first pic is a very good example how disgusting some sellers are.
    I would never sell such a dirty pair.
    Clean them with a non-alcoholic antibacterial soap an you have a very nice pair.

5. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

keep those nosepads safe. they are RARE.

6. Oakley_Sight

Oakley_Sight Gotta love a good DOG

Yer what Bri said, look after those pads if you plan not to use them.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire And then there was X...

Be careful not to overtighten the screws. Especially the top ones where the FMJ is. Overtightening can cause the FMJ to crack.