• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fitment Issue XX Lenses And Older XX Frames?

ucdavis4PT0gpa

I should Work at Oakley
Oceanside, Oregon
Okay so I just had the most aggravating lens replacement ever. I ordered a new set of XX lenses direct from Oakley for my TIO2 (its a first generation). I pop them in and....guess what? like a 1/4 inch gap at the orbital screw point. I spent 30 minutes trying different things and trying to get the gap to close so I could get the torx screw to bite-no luck.

So I ended up taping both lenses and filing off some of each lens from about the orbital screw point, all the way across the bottom and around the lower inner corner. After I did this, the lower part of the orbital was able to close enough so I could get the screw to bite without any fears of stripping.

Now, I don't know why this is....somehow I doubt the lenses are actually BIGGER (or orbitals smaller)-so the only thing I can figure is perhaps the newer lenses are thicker and this isn't allowing them to sit far enough into the orbital grooves.

As anyone else had this happen or thoughts on the cause?

Interesting. My new lenses have been sitting in the box since I got them. I'll try tomorrow and let you know if I have the same issues.

Ok, just tried mine. I see what you mean by a gap. It's not quite 1/4" but it's pretty wide. I had to use some force to get the orbitals close enough to get the screw in to thread. Left orbital looks normal with the gasket. Right orbital has a teeny tiny gap where the gasket will spin. Not noticeable unless you REALLY look at it and through a light source. Maybe there was some inconsistencies with the TiO2 frame... or maybe the new lenses are just cut weird and really meant for the 2nd gen frames? Either way, i'm ok with what i have. No need to go filing down anything on my end. Interesting that you had to shave off that much just to get them to fit.

Ok, just tried mine. I see what you mean by a gap. It's not quite 1/4" but it's pretty wide. I had to use some force to get the orbitals close enough to get the screw in to thread. Left orbital looks normal with the gasket. Right orbital has a teeny tiny gap where the gasket will spin. Not noticeable unless you REALLY look at it and through a light source. Maybe there was some inconsistencies with the TiO2 frame... or maybe the new lenses are just cut weird and really meant for the 2nd gen frames? Either way, i'm ok with what i have. No need to go filing down anything on my end. Interesting that you had to shave off that much just to get them to fit.

Yeah I got the left orbital to close enough to bite but it was such a strain I was concerned with stripping down the line. The right orbital? No damn way. I have a huge bruise on the palm of my right hand from trying to force it and once I had to file down the right, I figured why take any chances and filed the left too. Doesn't matter....you can't tell they were filed, it doesn't effect or degrade anything, but I was certainly surprised as I've never had a problem like this before.

Latest Posts

Back