• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fives Squared Root Beer And Black, Different Markings?

SMman

I should Work at Oakley
I plan to buy a pair of Fives Squared and noticed the black ones I am looking at say "made in the usa" but the root beer ones don't. They are from the same seller (no-bs-outfitters) who indicated that all his root beer glasses, even different styles, do not have "made in the usa". Has anyone ran into this before? His root beer Fuel Cells are tempting too but I don't want to buy fakes. Sorry if this has been covered already. I did a search before posting but could not find an answer. Cheers :)

Don't think they are made in the USA any more. Current model Fives Squared ( with the SKU starting OO) have unobtanium nose pads.

Thanks for the reply. I just bought the polised root beer ones for my wife and I am going to pick out some new specs for me very soon. I am considering a pair of black Fives Squared (not sure about copying my wife though) and Crankcase models. I have yet to try the Eyepatch 2, Hijinx, Valve, Ten, Scalpel, and Pitbull. The ones I tried on but decided against so far are the Fuel Cell, Gascan, Batwolf. I need something that will work with an aviation headset from time to time and the bigger ones just don't cut it. I'm enjoying

I tried the Scalpel and wasnt a fan. i just purchased some black Crankcases and might buy another pair of root beer Fives Squared; one for me and one for my wife.

Well for one thing Fives Squared went through a product update in Summer. All of the model numbers for existing colors and SKUs were changed because they added nosepads where before the nosepad area was just the plastic (OMatter). So that could be a difference between why they are not the same. Another thing unfortunately is that Oakleys product isn't exactly how it used to be since Lux bought Oakley. Luxottica owns Oakley but part of their agreement was that Oakley was still to somewhat run as an independent business with its own marketing and design team (not just get fully swallowed up by Lux). Now rest assured, the most important aspect of the Oakley glasses are the lenses which are ALL made in the USA, the frames however are a gray area that are never fully explained. All metal and acetate frames are made in China and I am pretty certain all plastic frames are also made in China however then shipped back and assembled in USA. Since more work is being done in the USA with painting and assembling over just the production I think this is why they don't have to be stamped "Made in China" but perhaps Oakley doesn't want to be open to a lawsuit and stamp them "Made in USA" since they are not fully 100% made in USA anymore. But, China has a bad reputation for junk but remember this would be a factory being run with the watching eyes of perfection of Lux and Oakley both. Great products can be made anywhere in the World, China just does it the cheapest. In the end, the most important aspect of any pair of glasses is the lenses and they are all made in the USA.

I actually have a lot of people sometimes question my brands like Burberry or Ray Ban because they say made in Chine right on some of them (some Italy). I then just have to explain how no matter how fancy the name is, if a company wants to get rich they have to make their product in China.

Latest Posts

Back