• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying Flak Jacket Frame (Bought!)

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
U

Username Hidden

I want to buy a Flak Jacket (normal or XLJ) frame:

- Good condition (if rubber needs replacing please let me know and factor into price)
- Cheap (once it gets to 50% or more of a brand new pair with lens, I may as well buy a brand new set!)
- Dark color (polished/jet black/dark grey/grey smoke/navy blue, etc)

Must be willing to send internationally (I'm in Tokyo) at my expense, and I'll use Paypal so please factor that into price.

Thanks very much.
Saulsaul

Some people reacted to this post.
Bump # 1. Someone must have a spare Flak frame for a friend in need!

Bump # 2. Unloved Flak? Then, take my money and send the Flak to a loving new owner. I got my finger on the Amazon 'Buy' button for a new pair... But prefer you to get my money, not Amazon!

Someone, anyone, are you out there....

I was gonna post my thoughts on this when you first posted last Saturday, but held my tongue in case someone had a pair they were willing to sell for cheap.

Firstly you're asking the forum, a majority of which are based in the USA, to ship to Tokyo. To start, that's not going to be cheap and quite a few members here are weary of shipping outside of the CONUS, especially to a newer member without street cred. Secondly, you're asking for a like-new frame with lenses for 50% off or more. Retail on a Flak Jacket is $150. So you're basically you're asking for a next to new Flak Jacket for $75. Even if you pay for shipping, you're looking at about $100 to get them to you. I honestly think you're better off buying a brand new pair from Amazon.

All that being said, it's not totally impossible for you to get a good deal on this forum as i do recall seeing Flak frames going for pretty cheap. Just not often. However, given that it's been a week and you're still looking tells me your chances are pretty low. Who knows, you may have a bite next week or the week after.

I'm not trying to put you down. Just giving some friendly feedback.

Good luck!

Actually he's just looking for a frame; if you re-read the sentence you're referring to he says that if a frame alone costs more than 50% of a brand new pair of glasses with lenses, he might as well just get new. I may have an option for the OP tomorrow, just waiting to decide what I want to get rid of based on other stuff I'm looking at.

Hey - thanks to both of you for engaging with a newcomer on the Exchange thread. This is all new to me so I'm learning the ropes. Both of your posts are helpful.

I stand by my buy offer - I think it would be an OK deal for someone with a spare frame.

On the issue of sellers not wanting to sell internationally...

It's odd to me that many US sellers won't do that. I made an offer to one guy (for a $75 item) and said I would pay all international shipping. He replied 'it's just not worth it for me unless a big order at least $150'. There's no loss to him as I cover shipping? Is it just the hassle of filling in extra forms, more time at the post office? What's the story with this?

Anyway, I'm still a reliable buyer looking for an unloved Flak frame, and I'm in no hurry, especially as we enter winter here in Tokyo - I already have my daily Photochromic flaks - just want a frame for a spare pair of G30 B/I.

Last edited:
It is not just the hassle aspect i have had many incoming and outgoing packages overseas to other countries disappear or be damaged Mexico, australia, england....It is why I do not ship internationally

Tracked, insured packages disappear?

Username Hidden said:
Tracked, insured packages disappear?
Yes!!! Just had this happen with the USPS. Been in a go around with them since July on a missing package with no resolve as of yet. It has been NOTHING short of a complete mess and huge hassle. That said it could happen to both domestic and international packages.

I've got a polished black frame in at least 9/10 condition, probably rated 9.5/10 by most people. Would be willing to send to Japan. Here's info:

Cost of frames: $60 F&F (Includes standard black microbag and I'll even include the soft vault)
1st Class USPS International Mail: $15 (buyer assumes risk for loss or damaged items)
Any additional services (registered mail, insurance, upgrade to Priority Mail, etc.): Paid by buyer

So, $75 shipped to Japan, plus cost of any additional services buyer would like and/or add 4% to cover PayPal fees. Let me know if you're interested and I can get you pictures, though not until Sunday evening as I'm out fo town for much of the weekend.