• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak Jacket Lenses Question

vettefan

Oakley Beginner
Georgia
Hi All !

Been away from the Oakley scene for about 1 year, Since the birth of my Daughter.
She was born and my money goes to many other Toys and furniture.

Did Oakley Change the frame/Lens in the Flak jacket XLJ?

Anyway, My wife went to the O Store today and they had a pair of Woodland camo Flak jackets so i had her pick those up for me.
Took the VR28 lenses out and was going to put in Black Iridium from a pair i purchased maybe 3 years ago.

After 10 Minutes fighting with it I compared the Old to new lens and the older lens is to big to fit.

Called the O store and the lady was nicely trying to tell me I was trying to install the wrong lenses.

Both Lenses are XLJ from Flak jacket.

Are the older lenses polarized? The polarized lenses are a different size and much tighter fit to get into the frame. If not, take both the new pair as well as the old lenses to your Ostore to see if they can get them in for you.

I also have a set of Flak Jacket BI XLJ lenses from about the same time period and a set of +red about a year ago. I noticed that the +red had a slightly different cut and was larger than the BI, it was a tight fit but it works.

Called the O store and the lady was nicely trying to tell me I was trying to install the wrong lenses.

Both Lenses are XLJ from Flak jacket.

Chances are very high that the lady does not know what she is talking about. She probaly thought you have the Fast Jacket, but regardless some of these people who work there are younglings, who just started at Oakley. I would just bring it to the nearest Oakley store and have them check it out, maybe you put the lens on the wrong side. I know I still do this especially on my regular Flak lens.

Maybe either the lens or the frame is Asian Fit? That could cause a compatibility issue. Just a thought.

An Asian Fit Flak Jacket is the same frame and lenses as a regular one, the only difference is the nose piece is much larger. And there shouldn't be much of a size difference in the lenses, sometimes they are just harder to get in. Try cleaning the inside of your frame first, and then spray it with the cleaning kit. This should help the lenses go in, and don't be afraid to use a little force on them.

You might also check the little tabs on the top edge of the lens (the part that snaps into the frame). I had a pair of Half Jacket lenses that had a tiny bit of excess on the tabs, and made it almost impossible to snap into the frame Aside from that, I'm not sure what else to suggest. No matter what, it will still be easier than trying to swap Garage Rock lenses :laugh:

Thanks for the replays,
Tonight is Daddy Day care and cant get a pic of them without the little one trying to play with them.

Will try to get a pic soon.
I can tell you without a doubt they are both Flak jacket XLJ but when you compare the tabs , the lens is about 2 cm wider
From Tab to tab.
Just enough to keep them from locking into place

2cm size difference? That's pretty extreme (unless you meant 2mm). Did you try putting the VR28 lenses into your older frame? See if that works, just to verify that they are actually Flak lenses.

Latest Posts

Back