• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak Jacket XLJ bubbling and peeling

My mind is made up that this should not have happened with a premium brand. Trying to figure out where to spend my hard earned money now. These glasses were great up until they fell apart.

I've owned many premium brands over the. Serengeti's were great. Driving glasses and never left the car. My Glacier glasses were great when I was a ski bum. I'd hate to think of how many different types I've had. None fell apart like this. Just saying. Heck, I use to surf with my Ray Bans on! LOL Lasted for years. Then just rusted away. LOL

Speak to CS when you can. See if they can help you out.

It's interesting that you've had the pair sitting inside the case for almost a year without wearing it though. Was it stored in humidity? Or high heat? These could be factors. But who knows? You are the only person who knows how you treat your stuff.

I hope CS can help you out.

Let us know

I live in Thailand. Both high heat and humidity. They were in the case in a drawer in a dresser. I used my other pair for daily use. Reserving the Oakley's for extended adventure travel trips I take about once a year or so. I originally bought them for my 2 month trip to Chile and Argentina. I spent a fair amount of time on and around glaciers and at altitude. Eye wear is critical then. Especially glasses that stop the sun from hitting your eyes from the side.

Oakley has just sent me a contact here in Thailand. I will contact them when I'm back home. Thanks.

Don't hold your breath on getting warranty on 3 year old lenses. Perhaps a discount I.E 25% new lenses

Hopefully they will extend you a courtesy and restore your faith in the brand.

I had some bubbling before this trip, but just a small amount and only on the inside. I was coming back from a boat trip last week and it was raining, so wore the glasses to keep the rain out of my eyes. When I got back to the hotel, the entire outer side was bubbling and peeling off.
DSC09131 (Small).JPG
DSC09133 (Small).JPG
DSC09134 (Small).JPG
I attached some pics. Sorry, but unacceptable for a premium brand.

Dude! Sucks!!! Good pair of glasses though. I'd just replace the lenses. Not too hard to find great replacements. I think the most common explanations for this have been stated in this thread, but it doesn't sound like you abused these at all. Oh well, snag some new lenses and wear the hell outta 'em! :)

I had some bubbling before this trip, but just a small amount and only on the inside. I was coming back from a boat trip last week and it was raining, so wore the glasses to keep the rain out of my eyes. When I got back to the hotel, the entire outer side was bubbling and peeling off.View attachment 195302 View attachment 195304 View attachment 195306 I attached some pics. Sorry, but unacceptable for a premium brand.
If you drive it in the rustbelt ... Lamborghinis and Ferraris will rust just a much as a Toyota or Mercedes...

Barring any manufacturing issue ... Sweat, dirt, grease, salt water, chlorine, natural occurring fallout and many more unstated phenomenon will affect the condition of your lenses ...

The best way to care for your lenses is to wash with mild soap after most usages ...

I'm no expert in lens design... But your lenses look like they're suffering from delamination in the sides ( where soap and water would have missed unless you removed he lenses while washing ) and it also looks like the AR coating is flaking off too ...

Thanks guys! Yes, a Ferrari will rust just like a Pinto...but they didn't cost the same! LOL

I love these glasses. It sucked having to wear them for a week like this in Burma! Back home now, got my cheapie Bolle's for now. Will have to figure out what to do now.

P.S. As stated before, I've taken good care of these glasses. I've washed them with soap and water many times. But obviously, something happened. Of all the glasses I've owned over the years, this has never happened.

Back