• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak Jacket XLJ Lens Discussion

Okay guys, so i got a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ's, they're the factory model with the polished black frame, and Fire Iridium lenses. As many of you may know, the flak Soft vault has spaces for two pairs of extra lenses. I am looking to buy two more sets of lenses, and my question is, what two lenses would provide the most "rounded" coverage? IE lenses for dim light, lenses for foggy days, bright light, etc. I was thinking maybe transition lenses but i dont know, i'll let the experts on here come up with ideas!

I mountain bike in forests, hunt, camp, backpack, and am doing track and field, if those help.

Here is what is recommended most often for certain activities. Some lenses are for lower light conditions and some for brighter conditions. These are not the only lenses for each condition just the most commonly used.

LensGuide_zps9cebdea1.jpg

If you go mountain biking often then the Persimmon lens is great for that. If you want a darker lens then that go with a VR28 Black Iridium. I would get one of these and then maybe a Polarized lens also. Best combo would be Persimmon and VR28 Black Iridium Polarized.

IMO, the best multipurpose low-light/bright-light lenses are gray lenses. Gray lenses are what we are issued in the military for jungle training and desert training. Transition lenses are terrible for driving but are great when outdoors. Persimmon lenses are excellent for shooting but do not do well in bright light. Hopefully this will help you with your decision.

What about running? :) Im doing running and im considering lenses for my run with radarlock. 00 red iridium,+red,fire,Ice which of the two will suits me better and isit weird to get both low light transmission lens?

So why do we need a separate thread just to discuss Flak Jacket lenses? We have many threads covering lens usage in certain environments.

Dustin please search before making threads.

+Red is what I usually have in my Flaks for varying light conditions... I've been wanting to try Persimmon but just haven't gotten there yet.

Just a question about the oakley flak jacket xlj lenses specifically....

I've been a flak jacket user for while now, and have recently switched to the xlj lenses. But they don't fit to well on my face. But when I went to the sunglasses store to try them on, the lenses seemed smaller. The sales associate told me that it was because there are two sizes of xlj lenses...I was just wondering if this was true since I've never heard of anything like this before.

Back